Which Mac is Currently the Fastest?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NeXT MacRumors, Jul 1, 2012.

1. NeXT MacRumors macrumors member

I was wondering after releasing so many new Macs like the Macbook Pro/Retina Display and the Mac Pro, which one is the fastest for Professionals? This includes BTO/configurations. This question arose due to the fact that last year the iMac 2011 with ssd and i7 was the fastest Mac.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Fastest in terms of what? Mac Pro is still the fastest Mac if raw processing power is used as a measure, but any Mac with an SSD will "feel" faster in everyday tasks.

3. NeXT MacRumors thread starter macrumors member

In terms of video editing which Mac is the fastest?

Like in final cut pro X and Avid video editing software

4. violst macrumors 6502

violst

The iMac 2011 with ssd and i7 wasn't the fastest mac it was the mac with the fastest processor speed @3.4GHz, it also has the better sandy bridge processor but it is only a quad core, while the fastest mac pro processor runs @3.33Ghz but that is a 6 core processor unfortunately that is the older westmere, but still a beast with 6 cores.

The imac did very well in single core tasks but can't really compete with multicore/multithreaded tasks when it has to compete with a mac pro that has 6-8-12 cores.

For the type of work you do the more cores the better. So the fastest mac for you is the Mac Pro 12 core 3.06, but best bang for the buck for you would be the Mac Pro 12 core 2.4.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope it helps.