Which Mac is right for me??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by asdean, Nov 17, 2009.

1. asdean macrumors newbie

Hello,
    So I am debating on purchasing a Mac. To give you a little about me I am a college student that commutes on a daily basis to campus. I live about 30 min away from campus too which sucks. Usually if I am on campus I can always find a iMac to use in the computer lab but on occasion those are all taken. I spend about 5 hours each day on campus without a break in between classes and once I'm done I head home. Would it be practical for me to get a MacBook Pro for portablility and if so which size? Or would it be better for me to get a iMac that has the bigger screen and more applications? Thank you all for the help

2. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Hello my friend, can i just ask what you will be doing on your Mac

as in what sort of work weather it be graphics, music ect and ill help you!

3. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

All depends on what your going to be using it for... If you need portability, MBP ftw. If not, iMac. Check Apple's refurb site to see if they have anything good. Normally they have MBPs and iMac in stock like 24/7. Check there 1st.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

5. akm3 macrumors 68020

Unless you want to pretend to play games, the 13" Macbook Pro is ideal for you.

If money is tight, the base macbook would be ideal.

6. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Have you ever had a laptop? How big was it? What did you think about carrying it around? What kind of bag will you be carrying your potential MBP in? Are you a strong young lad or a weak grandma? Or a weak lad? Or a strong grandma? What will you be using it for? Do you know what these numbers mean: 1280x800, 1440x900, 1920x1200? Have you played with all of the models at the Apple store? Which did you like the best?

I carried a 15", 8.5lb, 1.5" thick dell (and its monster power brick) throughout college in a sweet backpack and didn't have any trouble. I'm sure a 17" would have fit and I wouldn't have noticed the difference.