Which Mac is the right choice for me?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OSXFTW, Mar 22, 2011.

1. OSXFTW macrumors newbie

This is by far the hardest decision for me. I am currently a windows user and I am sick of it. Crashes, complexity, everything about windows is making me crazy! I've made the decision to switch over to Macintosh computers and OS X. Ive seen hundreds of videos of unboxings and reviews but i still don't know which mac to buy. I know I need a laptop so that narrows it down slightly. The decision is between the three of those models being the Macbook Pro, Macbook White, and the Macbook Air. I am going to be a freshman in college next year and the school seems to be running all on Windows which is upsetting me already. I still want to get myself a Mac anyway because of the countless good things I hear about it. Please anyone who is experienced with Mac laptops help. I do not need a current 2011 model and can deal with 2009,2010,2011 models. I need any and all help before i lose my mind lol. My price range is just about at 1000 dollars. I also don't mind refurbished machines. Everything is an option at this point. I will be studying Business Marketing in college. Thank you for any help! Please!

2. darrensmith016 macrumors newbie

I am a student in university in the UK and have just purchased a 2011 MacBook Pro 13" 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram with 3 year AppleCare for 48 pounds and 15% of the laptop, im sure your $1000 budget would be able to deal with that and it will be brand new with 3 years apple care, as long as you don't drop it or tip a load of liquid on it you will be covered for 3 years.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Look at refurb. Apple refurb looks new and has warranty same as new.
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Also consider apple back to school deal (coming up in a few months, in which you can get an iPod touch with a new mac. You can sell the iPod touch)

How much media do you have (music / photos / etc) in terms of GBs?
    This will determine whether a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro

4. anon.ymous macrumors member

Excellent advice. Definitely wait a couple months if you can so you can take advantage of the back to school deals. It sounds like the white MacBook would suit your needs just fine. You could spend an extra $150 and get the MacBook pro, which would probably be a little too much computer for you now, but would definitely last all 4 years of school without showing it's age. Also, you'll absolutely want a printer and an office suite (iWork is like 50 bucks and office is like 150). So if you can save (or spend some graduation money), definitely wait and make sure to get a complete solution so you're set up for success at school.

Good luck in your studies. You're making a wise investment in your education.

5. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Going into school you should be able to get office through your university for 10 bucks so I wouldn't let that add on sway your decision.

I recently graduated with my MBA in marketing. I can only hope the job market is better for you in 4 years that it is for me right now. I have been out almost a year and still cannot find a job.

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Either the Macbook or a low end Macbook Pro would be a good fit for the needs you have described. I wouldn't worry about your school being Windows based as you can easily run Windows on your Mac for any classes or projects that might require this need.

Most students seem to go with the 13" laptop for portability around campus. As many stated, refurbs are a great option, but you might also be able to find a quality used machine. I've saved lots of money buying well cared for used Macs. I'd stick with Craigslist as you can set up a meeting and verify the machine before you buy. Another option is the marketplace here at MR, but access has a post count requirement.

7. opera57 macrumors 6502

The 13" MacBook Pro would probably be the best bet as a student if it is going to be your main machine. Being aluminium it will be a bit more durable than the white MacBook and more expandable than the Macbook Air - larger hard drives and you are also able to upgrade the hard drive and ram if you need to in the future! [​IMG]