Which Mac Laptop to get

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pTacRP, Feb 11, 2014.

1. pTacRP macrumors member

We have decided to switch from a Dell to a Mac since we were so impressed with our iPhone transition. I am completely new to the world of Mac computers and really have no idea which one to get. We will be using it mainly for school applications, some home video editing, and internet access. We don't play online games or anything like that. Where do I start?

2. eneisch macrumors 6502a

It depends what is important to you. As a starting point do you value screen size or portability? For example if you need a 15-inch screen there is only one choice (15-inch retina MacBook Pro). If you value extreme portability then the 11-inch MacBook Air would be right for you. If you think a 13-inch laptop would be the right size then you have to choose between a MacBook Air and retina MacBook Pro.

Also a big factor is $. How much is your budget?

Check out this recent thread where the 13" Air and Pro are compared for value:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1702262

Hope this helps!

3. pTacRP thread starter macrumors member

eneisch-thanks for the reply. I've had a 17" for awhile but realize going to a Mac I'll have to get used to a smaller screen. I'll probably go to the middle with a 13". Budget wise I'd like to keep it under $1200 but also know a Mac should last much longer then the Dell's I've had. Guess I'm just wondering feature wise what's best for us as I'm new to Mac and what they offer. I'll check the link you provided, thanks!

----------

Also does anyone know when the new Mac's are coming out?

4. eneisch macrumors 6502a

For the 13-inch I personally think the $1499 13-inch retina MacBook Pro is the best value. You get a high resolution screen, faster processor, 8 GB (vs. 4 GB) RAM and a better integrated graphics chip (Intel Iris over Intel 5000) over the 13-inch $1299 MacBook Air. Both have a 256 GB SSD. For me I would not consider a 13-inch Macbook Pro or Air with a 128 GB SSD as I feel it is just not enough storage (especially if you have a decent sized music/video collection).

My last Macbook lasted me 5 years (2008-2013). It actually still works very well (just slow compared to newer models with latest processors and SSD). I recently gave it to a friend for his kids to use and they are loving it.

New models will depend on when new Intel chips are available (which is probably towards the end of the year, but some are now saying early 2015). There may be a small update with slightly upgraded processor speeds in the interim.

Best of luck making your choice!

5. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Check the Apple refurb store daily. When they pop up, you can get the Retina MBP 2.4 ghz, 8gb RAM, 256 Flash version for $1,269 plus tax. It's the best bang for your buck deal around the price you want to spend.

6. pTacRP thread starter macrumors member

Are the refurbs as good as getting one new? Pros/Cons???

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

The cheapest model that fits your needs and budget.

I'd get a refurbished MacBook Air for a bit less than $1000. From your usage description, you're not a power user and won't need something more powerful for quite some time.

8. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Yes. Apples refurbs are considered some/the best in the industry
    Pros: Cheaper, stuff is getting "checked" a second time
    Cons: I don't know of any

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Refurbs are checked by Apple QC staff, the outer case and battery are completely new, and they carry the same 1 year warranty as the new computers.

The only difference really is that you don't get the fancy printed box, but a plain white one instead.

10. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

As a student I highly recommend the newest 13" Retina Macbook Pro. The battery life is phenomenal, the weight is minute, the power is exceptional even with the base model for heavier tasks. The built in software (iWork and iLife) are pretty good for free software, I find uses for all of them except iPhoto but only because I needed a heaver duty App for my photos. Haven't found a single downside to my purchase yet, don't regret it for a minute.

11. pTacRP thread starter macrumors member

12. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

+1 for the Macbook Pro retina 2.4ghz model if you can get it refurbished! I bought mine new, and it's been a great machine for school work, music and movies, and web surfing. Just be sure you're getting the late-2013 model as opposed to the 2012.

13. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Yeah they are, I've owned both, the only con, which I wouldn't even call a con, is that the refurbished doesn't come in the original box but in a random white box.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say after Intel releases the Broadwell chipset and I believe that's now set for 4Q but I could be wrong. At the very least you won't see new MBPs until September or October.

Yes, many folks purchase them here, you get a great laptop at a good price.