Which Mac Laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ColdAsIce, Feb 1, 2008.

1. ColdAsIce macrumors newbie

At the moment i have had a Dell 4400 Computer its around 6 years old but damn its lasted me a while. However in the coming months i will be going back to University (As i am on a Gap Year). Im struggling at the moment which laptop i should get, ideally lately ive taken up a hobby of CS3 along with some small video editing- also can anyone recommend easy video editing software and would it working within windows- say if i was to play it on media player if it was .avi?. I will need windows but Mac OSX is the tops, i will play the odd small game here and there. A Macbook 2.4ghz is a tempting option i know specs wise its different to the Macbook? but would recommendations

Could you recommend a mac laptop?- im not looking to buy now as im going to wait, is it worth while to wait as the new trackpads are going to be imminent?

Many thanks.

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Hi ColdasIce, glad you joined. :) I think the Macbook will do basically all of the things you've mentioned. You can install bootcamp or use a 3rd party application (VMWare or Parallels) in order to have windows and OSX installed at the same time. This will allow you the best of both worlds.

As far as video editing, you have several options. You could purchase Final Cut Express to do basic to intermediate editing within OSX. It will more than suffice for all your editing needs, and you can save/convert files to .avi, or several other formats. The software comes with a tutorial DVD to help you get started, as well (if necessary).

As far as games go, you may want to keep your Dell just for playing games. If you are planning on selling it or giving it away, your next best option would be to step up to the Macbook Pro, as it will allow you to play some more intense games. Honestly though, if gaming is a big factor, I would suggest opting for a console like the PS3, Wii, or Xbox 360. That way your gaming will be optimum, and you'll have your laptop for all other uses.

Don't get me wrong, both the Macbook and Macbook Pro can play games, it just depends on what type of games you're interested in. If it's hard core games that are graphics and cpu intensive, you're better off with a console, (or even a Windows based desktop/gamer specific laptop like Alienware :eek:). There are some who have gotten these intense games to play on MBP, but they have to compromise on some of the settings in order for them to function properly.

If you're like me, and like games that are just for fun, such as Sims 2 or addictive puzzle games, then the MB or MBP would be fine. Waiting as long as possible is always wise if you are able, as it means latest features, and sometimes even better prices. Good luck with your decision.

3. smogsy macrumors 6502a

i use photoshop cs3 with my macbook when im doing editing (photoretouch etc)
    my macbook can easily get to 80c i suggest you do get 4gb of ram though...

im a heavy photoshop user 1650x1050-2560x1600 somtimes in even 4000x3000

i suggest if you going into heavy photoshop/video work to get MBP i kinda wish i did sometimes

4. ColdAsIce thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that its slightly helped me out its confusing so much new hardware and technology out at the moment it makes life very difficult to decide upon. Ideally this Lappy will last me a while thats why im not too keen on Windows, i have XP its a good OS but the bugs and errors really annoy me. So its either a MB or MBP to be honest. I will play games but not really hardcore games like Rainbow Six for example. Maybe Fifa or Pro Evo as this is my liking (football/soccer games) as you call it. Any recommended video editing software for a beginner like me. i tried my hands at pinnacle was impressed. Ideally id like the software to turn the files in .avi so i can play on any media player whether its windows/mac.

5. ColdAsIce thread starter macrumors newbie

Also the Final Cut that is avaliable on the Apple store to buy with the Laptops is that the basic edition of it?

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

7. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I agree. I use Final Cut Pro, but before I upgraded to that, I had Final Cut Express 3 HD. It's geared towards beginners to intermediate users who need more than what is offered by iMovie (which comes with all new Macs). Unfortunately, the iMovie that currently ships with Macs isn't what it used to be, but it's MUCH better than Windows Movie Maker. It's sufficient for very basic movie making, but none of the bells and whistles.

Final Cut Express is easy to learn, comes with a DVD tutorial, and allows you to do amazing things. It's not just a video editor, it also includes LiveType (text animator), and Soundtrack (if you get version 3, which I highly recommend, instead of the current version). You could easily find this version on eBay for a great price. If doing your own soundtrack isn't necessary, than check out the latest version, which doesn't include Soundtrack. Incidently, Soundtrack plays very nicely with Garageband, also included with all new Macs.

I've also used Pinnacle products, and prefer Final Cut Express 3 HD. It's more intuitive and runs extremely nicely on a Macbook Pro, without the bother of purchasing an input interface. Just plug in your digital camcorder or external hard drive with your video footage, and go. Basically, Macs are optimum for creative content creation. You won't have any issues with converting to formats that work with Mac, Windows, and portable devices.

As far as the games you listed, you'll need to opt for a Macbook Pro to play them. They will only piss you off on a Macbook. ;) Or, get a Macbook, and with the money you save, get a PS3. My honest opinion, based on your needs, is that you would be happier with a Macbook Pro. When the new version is released, I believe it will meet all of your needs, and then some. I own a MBP, and it's my main computer. I freakin' love it. :) Good luck to you, and happy shopping.

8. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

If you will be doing video editing i think the pro is almost a necessity as well as a FW drive to add on. If it is only time to time stuff then you can survive with the MacBook - only you can answer if the $$ saved is worth it for the type of work and time spent doing it.

9. ColdAsIce thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome i suppose that has cleared things up, looks like the Macbook Pro and its future proof it looks sleek and the specs are awesome if i buy one i know its good money spent, i heard refurbs are very good as well? does anyone have any views, and how many years does the apple product have as standard because i was told the educational warranty is only more Phonecare support and i dont wish to spend another £60 for something pointless, anyone think blueray will be supported in Apple Laptops. Or is it just better to get a PS3 and watch it on that than a laptop. Final Cut looks interesting as long as its easy to use im an amateur im only learning new stuff really.