Which Mac/Macs do you think?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drev0013, Apr 17, 2008.

1. drev0013 macrumors newbie

I have wanted a Mac for a while now, and now that I have decided to abandon my lousy PC, I need to choose.

After quite a bit of research, I have a dilemma; I would love the portability of a laptop, but I would also love a big screen to work on. I have gotten accustomed to a 24" display and don't think I can go back. I do a lot of work with photos, and while I am not a pro, I am beginning to move out of the realm of 'enthusiast'. Beyond working on photos, I use my computer for internet, movies, music, etc.

I was initially looking at a 2.5 ghz 17" hi res MBP. I like it because it is quite powerful for a laptop and has the hi res matte screen. It would give me all the freedom I could want. But, it is a rather pricey machine and 17" just seems so dang small (which I know it is not by laptop standards).

I have used Imacs before and really like them. But the newest ones are out of the question for me since they have a glossy screen and I don't want that when working with photos; I have had a glossy display before and won't go back. I know the G5's have the matte screen, and cosmetically, I like the way the look better. I have considered getting the 24" 2.33 ghz iMac on Ebay. I like this because it has a big 1920 x 1200 matte screen, will be relatively inexpensive, and will probably be powerful enough for me, and offers the simplicity I want. I don't really care for the thought of buying a used computer and problems that may arise, being limited to 3 G of ram, and being tethered to the house.

My final consideration is a combination of macbook and 23' display. I would probably go for the 2.4 ghz black macbook. I have probably done the least research on macbooks, thus, I know the least about them. In the end, I like the idea of having a laptop and a big display. I don't know how I feel about hooking a laptop up to the display though. I would probably want a bluetooth keyboard and mouse when working at the bigger display, which I am not even sure if or how that works running through a macbook.

In a nut shell, I am looking for:
    - $2,500 or less
    - large, accurate matte display
    - portability (even being able to move an Imac around the house counts
    somewhat for me here after using a pc)
    - relatively powerful (my pc has a 3ghz (single) processor and 1 G or ram,
    so anything will be an upgrade for me)
    - simplicity (not a bunch of extra cables or peripherals)

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, trials, tribulations.... would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. martychang macrumors regular

Matte screen under $2,500? Macbook Pro is your only choice, they only make Glossy iMacs. Unless you want to go Mac mini and get a monitor with it.

You could get a very bottom Mac Pro with the Single Quad-Core and a cheap($300 or less) monitor though. Not many choices because you excluded the entire iMac line with the Matte requirement.

3. drev0013 thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I said, I like the G5 Imacs quite a bit, which are matte.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

They had problems IIRC. I'd leave them.

Get yourself a mac mini, which will be more powerful than a G5 and dual core, and a decent screen, then on top of that get a macbook. Or just get a macbook and a big screen, but if you don't need the $2500 then get both.

5. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I think a macbook and an external screen would be the best option.

Can you use the monitor you have at the moment?

Like you, whilst I would like a MBP I can't justify the price, espeicially as all I do is graphic design.

This way you get the best of both.

6. drev0013 thread starter macrumors newbie

No. I had a 24 display, but sold it because a) it was glossy and b) I could put the money towards a new computer. My current monitor is and old CRT with a horrible blue cast and a lot of flicker.

Really? What type of problems?

Also, I have heard stories of the 23 ACD with magenta tinting. Are these a few bad monitors, or is this a common thing that Apple needs to fix with the next upgrade?

7. CanadianDonkey macrumors member

My vote goes to the macbook/ext. display option.

You could probably get a top of the line macbook, bluetooth keyboard+mouse, and a display for about 2500 bucks.

Portability, and a nice display when you need it.

Best. Option. Ever.