Which mac magazine should I subscribe to?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IndianaiPhone, Oct 1, 2008.

1. IndianaiPhone macrumors regular

I can't decide between Macworld and MacLife. They both seem like really good magazines but I can't pick which one. Any suggestions? I'm not really interested in Apple news because I get all that info from the internet but I like the articles that tell you cool stuff about macs and stuff like that.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

The first time Apple gave away magazine subscriptions,I got a "six-month" subscription for free of MacWorld when I registered a new mac in 2006. They're still sending me magazines on the same subscription... I've never been charged. MacWorld seemed the good choice. The articles are usually pretty interesting, but I don't learn much from them. I probably wouldn't pay for it but it's definitely worth the walk to the mailbox.

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Maclife

MacWorld (From the UK)

iCreate

MacTech

These I have at this time.

4. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I really enjoy MacWorld a lot. I highly recommend it.

ICreate is a really good one too.

Happy reading! :)

5. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I was at my library and I was bored and so I picked up a copy of MacWorld and really enjoyed it. It had a bunch of informative articles on how to make the most of OS X and I learned some things I didn't know about before. I haven't read any of the others, but I would agree with others who say that MacWorld would be a good choice.

6. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

8. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

What ever happened to MacAddict? That was by far the best of the bunch when it was around. It was because of that mag (which came w/ a CD - not common at all in those days) that I got hooked on WarCraft 2. I found at the time that MacWorld's articles were too high end for a new user to the platform and seemed to focus on the business world of computing whereas MacAddict focused on day to day usefulness and fun stuff like multimedia & games...lots of very useful articles on programs that the majority might use. I believe it was done by people who were my generation whereas MacWorld seemed to be an older crowd and a bit too techy. MacWorld has gotten a bit better over the years imo though but is still a tad dry. I'd probably recommend MacLife if you want lighter but still informative reading but its no MacAddict. =)

9. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I find MacLife always reviews the same products over and over again.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

MacAddict BECAME MacLife. I know- it's not nearly as good now. :(

11. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Ditto. Mac Addict was my favorite before.
    Macworld has pretty good coverage but like all magazines the news is old.

12. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Hey, no one's mentioned PC Mag? :D

I've read both MacWorld and MacAddict - both of which seem like informative mags. I don't subscribe to either one, but from reading them at B&N or Borders, I'd have to say MacAddict. It's a bit more angled towards 'fun' I think, but not overdone.. But, both are good.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I was subscribed to PC World from 1998-2001. Those were good times.

MacLife has taken a turn for the worse since it changed from MacAddict. I'm going to recommend MacWorld.

14. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I read PC Mag as well. I use my mac for business management and some audio/video for my church. But the salespeople who work for us are using Windows machines, so I like to stay up on all of it. (I find it interesting how often Apple products are at the top of the review in PC Mag.)

15. vietportal macrumors newbie

I have all Macword magazines in PDF format. If you like it, I'll provide for free. Zinio said that I could share them for many people I want!

16. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I vote for MacWorld as well, but I'll admit I've never read a different Mac magazine. :p

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, I'm surprised that so many people still read tech magazines. Seems like you can get the same information free on the web.

18. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I thought that as well. MacRumors is all i need by way of mac rumors and news...

:confused:

19. philbeeney macrumors 6502

philbeeney

20. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I used to get MacWorld and have picked up a few issues of Mac Addict. The problem is by the time they come out with "breaking news" or product reviews the same info has been on MacRumors for two to three months!

Most of the time I see the tips or how-to's and think "that's cool, but I'll never use it."

My money is better spent on Fine Woodworking...