Which Mac mini for 4K Video Conferencing?

jpshackelford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2020
I am thinking about adding a Mac mini to sit beside an Apple TV 4K so as to support video conferencing using Zoom and a Logitech Pro (aka Brio) 4k webcam. I thought I'd buy a used Mac mini from e-bay since the computer will do almost nothing else. (I already have a recent MacBook Pro for everyday workloads.) So what is the oldest / least expensive model I can buy that will still work nicely to handle live 4k video and audio for a 55 inch 4k TV? I'd like something that will work without weird hacks, won't be laggy, etc. but the computer will probably do nothing else and I don't intend to do any video editing, just live streaming.

Suggestions?

PeteBurgh

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
Unless, I'm missing something, the first thing to point out is the Zoom doesn't support 4K - indeed, it only supports 1080p with certain kinds of business or enterprise account - most of the time it uses 720p.

jpshackelford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2020
Doh. You are right. I am getting 1080p with Zoom. The following article suggests that this requires an i7 Quad Core (physical core) CPU or higher. (https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/207347086-Group-HD). The Mac mini wikipedia article indicates that 2012 mid-range and server models have an i7 quad-core, but it doesn't look like 4k support arrived until 2014 and there it is only support at 30hz/24hz with 60hz not arriving until the 2018 model.

Does this sound right, that reasonable 4k video isn't available until the 2018 model?

PeteBurgh

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
IF you want 4k @60hz, I believe you need the 2018.
Yup, that's my understanding as well. The 2014 Mac minis are really capable and versatile in lots of way, if you can work around the limitation of the RAM not being upgradable. Unfortunately, this use case really plays into their main limitation - the build in GPU.

If I understand what you're trying to do - Zoom conference call on a big TV - could you do this on your MBP and Apple TV by using Airplay?

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
Hell, the premium price of a Mac mini 2018 solely for Zoom video conferencing is nonsensical, even if you buy a refurb of the least expensive model.

Just buy a $200 Wintel box for this purpose. Once you fire up Zoom, whether you're using macOS or Windows really doesn't make a difference. It's not like Zoom is moving 4K/60Hz video over the Internet.

Reactions: PeteBurgh