Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SexyBeast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
I am going to buy a new Mac Mini. With the two configurations, the only difference is the graphics card. The 2.3 vs 2.5 ghz isn't a huge jump. Also the 2gb vs 4gb of ram isn't a big deal since I'm just going to upgrade the ram to 8 gb myself anyway. Is the AMD graphics card worth the extra $200 over the intel one?

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
It really depends on what you're going to be using it for? Is this going to be your primary computer or are you going to hook it up to your TV as a HTPC? Are you going to be using it for work or at home? Are you going to be playing games on it much at all?

Like you said, the biggest difference between the two models is the dedicated graphics. If you're going to be doing any gaming then the dedicated graphics is a no brainer. If you won't play games on it or use it for other GPU related tasks then you probably won't miss the dedicated graphics much.

SexyBeast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
No games. It'll be my primary computer. I'll stream a lot of videos on it. Would the intel work just fine for that?

AppleTeam

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
I would go for the base mini.
Yes, the AMD graphics is ... well "better";) for gaming but if you really are a serious high end gamer the mini isn't for you anyway IMO. AMD graphics or not.:)

Seriously I don't understand why people want to game on these things.:)

If you want to play games keep a big windoze box with high end upgradable graphics card(s) to keep on top of the latest games and to play them all on high settings.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
No games. It'll be my primary computer. I'll stream a lot of videos on it. Would the intel work just fine for that?

That inclines me towards saying get the cheaper Mini with just Intel HD graphics 3000. If you don't game you won't care for a good graphics card. It'll only cost you a fair bit more and you won't get maximum use out of it at all.

----------

Yes, the AMD graphics is ... well "better";) for gaming but if you really are a serious high end gamer the mini isn't for you anyway IMO. AMD graphics or not.:)

If you want to play games keep a big windoze box with high end upgradable graphics card(s) to keep on top of the latest games and to play them all on high settings.

Any Mac with AMD graphics will suit most people for gaming actually. i.e.-the higher end Mini, any iMac, the Mac Pro or the 15/17 " Macbook Pros. I mean I've only got Intel HD Graphics 3000 and i can play Civilization 5 well enough. With an AMD graphics card from any of the Macs I mentioned it'd be a seamless experience.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011

Not everyone who games is a serious high end gamer.

Not everyone can afford to keep a big windows gaming pc up to date on top of buying a new mac every few years.

Not trying to hi-jack this thread. Sorry to the OP.

As far as the mini goes, it sounds like the low end one will suit your needs. Use the $200 you'll save to upgrade the RAM. You can even add a second hard drive if you need the extra space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.