Which Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by hsj2011, Aug 16, 2011.

1. hsj2011 macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy a Mac Mini fairly soon to use for web development and I'm just wondering which of the current mini's is best value for money?

I was originally trying to decide between the 2.3GHz and 2.5GHz Mini's but then I noticed it's not much more for the 2.0GHz i7 server, although it doesn't have the radeon graphics.

Will the Server work just like a normal Mini?

Is there any advantage in having the 2.7GHz i7 over the 2.5GHz i5?

2. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

This site breaks down the value of the 2011 minis vs performance. Depending on the kind of development you are doing the base mini is probably "good enough." A lot of people here will talk you out of the i7 Dual Core but I happen to like mine.

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

4. hsj2011 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, yeah my computer when funny when trying to post this. Can the mods please close the other thread?

5. hsj2011 thread starter macrumors regular

Both really. I don't do any rendering or anything like that but use photoshop mainly to crop and optimise images, produce design ideas, that kind of thing.

I just don't want to end up with a system that restrictive in some way. If I could cope with a 21.5" screen, I'd definately choose an iMac instead but the screen's just a bit too small.

I've previously had an i5 3.33GHz Hackintosh but have just sold my 2007 MBP so want to get a proper Mac desktop rather than the hackintosh.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

A an iMac 27" an option ? Lots of screen ...

( by the way: you can press the little red triangle in the other thread and inform the mod)

7. hsj2011 thread starter macrumors regular

a 27" iMac is out of my price range unfortunately and thanks for the tip :)

8. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

In this case a i5 with 2.5 Ghz should do it with enough performance buffer for the future. Think about changes in working tasks, too.

9. hsj2011 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, that's kind of along the lines I was thinking too. Is there any benefit in getting the i7 2.7GHz or the i7 2Ghz Server over the 2.5Ghz i5?

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I don't see much need for the dual core 2.7 or the quad core 2.0 for your workflow. Instead I would suggest that you upgrade the RAM to 8 GBs yourself and also upgrade the HDD to a SSD such as an Intel 320.

11. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Good point; the SSD will boost for sure. I was positively surprised how good my MBA felt when I got it back I'm December.