Which Mac Pro did you buy, or NOT?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DeepCobalt, Mar 24, 2009.

?

Which Mac Pro did you buy? (Or NOT buying right now)

1. Quad 2.66

36 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. Quad 2.93

27 vote(s)
    13.4%
  3. Octad 2.26

51 vote(s)
    25.2%
  4. Octad 2.66

14 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. Octad 2.93

18 vote(s)
    8.9%
  6. Not buying for next 6 Months minimum

56 vote(s)
    27.7%
  1. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

How about some statistics???

What Mac Pros have people actually bought (on the way is OK (Ordered))? Or sitting on the sidelines for 6 mos. min? NOTE: If you choose "Not buying for 6 months" you should be a Mac Pro potential customer--i.e. not someone who would never buy a Mac Pro.

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Add a choice. Not sure but will buy a 2009 Mac Pro in the next 6 months

3. hobes270 macrumors regular

I got a 2.26Ghz with the ATI 4870. I love it! I can't believe how fast it is. I am happy.

4. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

you should put an option for 2008 MP as well. quite a few people bought the 2.8 or 3.2 octos as soon as the prices/specs of the 2009 MPs went live. just a thought

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm going to wait until mid summer time and see what they do with the pricing of the mac pro or updates.

6. SLR2009 macrumors regular

I ordered a 2.66Ghz Quad Core Mac Pro with the Ati Radeon 4870 and a 24" LED Apple Cinema Display:). My Mac Pro will arrive on friday, I can't wait.

7. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I was willing to buy a Mac Pro before the update, but I ended up getting a refurb iMac and I'm going to wait for the next update because I really don't need the power right at this moment and I'll be able to get more upgrades when the next MP drops.

EDIT: Or I'll get one of the new ones once they start showing up in the refurb store if the update doesn't happen when I start to need the power.

8. IainH macrumors member

Wonder how many people saying theyre not buying actually can AFFORD one of these, and how many are just voting no because they can.

Personally, I ordered the 2.26 octo with 6GB RAM from Apple, 4870 and the Airport card - bought 12gb aftermarket and getting a rocketraid 2314 for it.

9. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I purshased the Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8-Core (Nehalem) on March 9 2009... I was one of the first costumer. :p

I decided to go with the 2.26 8-core because i can pick it up at my local apple store in only one square street and not to worry about shipping... :D

Not because i cannot afford a superior one. :mad:

10. Marsil macrumors member

I will get the 2.26GHz, 16GB, 2TB, and the ATI 4870 today - cant wait - instead of more GHz i got more ram. Im sure its fast enough for photo editing etc. and a bump to 2.66GHz would not do much compare to the extra ram.

11. PowerPaw macrumors member

How much less was your RAM? In the past it was worth doing but looking at Crucial its the same money to upgrade to 12GB as it is to by 12GB - the big difference is you have 6GB left over to leave 2GB in the system and sell/store the remaining 4GB. I wonder is there is a good market for Apple DDR3 1GB memory modules?

12. Fomaphone macrumors regular

not really... but ebay and OWC are places to unload them if you only want $5 per per stick out of them.

13. kinohaitsma macrumors newbie

about to order:

octad 2.66
    12 GB RAM by Apple
    Airport card
    [edit]

officially ordered.

I have question about internal disks, but started another thread on that.

14. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

15. RobP macrumors member

Exactly what I ordered. This was my first Mac and I can safely say I wasn't disappointed with either the Mac Pro or the Cinema display - both have exceeded my expectations.

RobP

16. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Waiting awhile. Next revision will work all the Nehalem "kinks".

17. DeepCobalt thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting how early poll results (55 people voting) suggest that the octad 2.66 is the least popular configuration, which is surprising to me. I would have thought that one would have been the happy compromise between clock speed and multi-cores. In fact, it is the system I am thinking of buying...

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

You might want to consider adding a DIY/Hack button as well. ;)

19. drnen macrumors regular

ive got the 2.26 with the 4870 and 8gigs coming on monday finally. Fedex originally said friday so i thought id be able to play with it all weekend and now i have to wait :mad:
    Picked up a dell 23inch monitor and some logitech speakers last week so im go for launch.

20. kinohaitsma macrumors newbie

I totally agree with DeepCobalt:

the quads seem under-spec, with the max RAM of 8 GB,
    the double 2.93 is just far too expensive.

then again: maybe the octad is a machine more for pro-users and how many people on this forum are in that category?

21. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Well I'm a power user and I bough the 2.26GHz Octo for the purpose of rendering 3D on Maya on Mac OS X & 3Ds Max, Softimage on windows vista 64bits. Nothing else... Not for gaming... Surfing the web... Email... Ilife... Final cut express and logic express goes to my MacBook Pro.

This machine is not for Gamers... A P.C is the way to go for them...

22. wino david macrumors newbie

wino david

My feelings exactly! :)

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

OWC has 12GB and 16GB kits for the Quad now. (4GB DIMM's), so the limit isn't 8GB. :eek: :D

But the cost of the system and any upgrades (memory in this case) may not make it worthwhile. Up to each individual.

Seems it's never easy. :p

24. -SD- macrumors 6502

After waiting since last October time for an updated Pro, I've decided to get an Octo 2.26 with a Radeon 4870. Time is money as they say, and it's now or never.

I have to admit, when I first saw the pricing for the new machines I nearly fell over. But I signed up for my ADC membership mainly for the big discount so now really was the time to use it. Even then, it's still pushing my budget to the absolute maximum.

Once my wallet has recovered, I'll replace the RAM with six 2GB sticks and possibly add another 4870 (even if it means an extra PSU).

:apple: