Which Mac Pro did YOU get and why? POST HERE!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Woodgrove@macla, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Woodgrove@macla macrumors newbie

Many are still not sure which Mac Pro model they're gonna get. Let's make a list here. Post which one you bought and motivate why in a few words. Would be interesting to see which setup is most popular :rolleyes:

2. sboerup macrumors 6502

Hexacore + 5870 + 16gb . . . it's more than I need (LR & PS usage mainly), but I always like having the best and wanted to futureproof myself . . . somewhat :)

3. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I got a 2008 8-core 2.8GHz Mac Pro because it was and still is the best bang for the buck. Mac Pro prices have gotten crazy with the 2009+ models. My 2008 still gets a 13000 geek bench score and is more than enough machine for now. Maybe in a few more years there will be enough new technology in the MP to consider an upgrade.

GL

4. SeanDL macrumors newbie

I think you'll find, no contest, that the hexacore is the most popular option. Plenty of other threads supporting why it is a great buy.

I went with the dual-quads at 2.4, 8 GB of RAM and the 5870. It was already a little outside my budget, but with RAM upgrades the hexacore would have been so far outside my budget there was no hope of getting it. I work primarily in After Effects, Final Cut and Avid.

I think the dual quad is going to be the least popular model this time around, and I dont' think you'll see many people advocating it as a purchase, unless you're incredibly RAM hungry and on a budget.

5. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Went with the quad core. Wanted the 6 core, but budget limitations took hold :). I dunno, 8 threads is good enough for me, and since the single processor boxes can take 32GB of RAM, this machine is plenty expandable.

6. CountlovE macrumors regular

I got a 3.3 6core because I have a very small penis and need to make up for it in raw CPU power.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have the 2009 8-core 2.66GHz because I wanted the performance encoding videos. I also run multiple VMs and it's nice to be able to allocate two cores to each VM. Didn't go for the 2.93GHz because I didn't need the extra performance, so I put my money elsewhere.

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I got the 2.8 quad, since I'm still a student and couldn't justify spending the money on anything bigger. I added 8GB of RAM and a second HDD myself, so this should serve me well as a workstation and practice box for a few years. Eventually I can upgrade the RAM to 16GB and add an SSD for some extra speed, when the time comes. In the meantime, the extra power is great, as is not having to choose between the PC tower and the MBP.

9. eponym macrumors 6502

I'm one of the rare few who got the 2010 8-core. I'm an advocate for the 6-core in general, but the 8-core was my choice because:

- My workflow is lots of concurrent processes, not fewer complex ones
    - Lots of virtualization (more physical cores the better)
    - Cheaper/Easier to expand RAM (and the stock 6GB is actually useful)
    - Company purchase, so being cheaper makes the budget people happy
    - Can be upgraded later to a 12-core (this is more of a bonus)
    - Since it wasn't my $$, I was willing to go on a hunch that the 8-core would suit my needs as well as the 6 (it's not like I was gonna end up with a piece of junk either way ;))

10. Chaosg5 macrumors newbie

Base model Quad 2.8 with the 5870 and then adding 4x2GB ram.

Ordered 2x4GB dimms but them I bought from messed up and sent 8x2GB and as they didn't have any 4GB either I'm keeping the four spare ones as compensation :D

Seriously tho, may still send them back altho not sure if I can be bothered, if they deserve it, know what they're doing or even care about it and I for that matter don't need more than 8GB anyhow.

Anyway it'll be used for gaming mostly, I do some web dev/design stuff also but not like it'll use much of it's potential for that. But as I now (hopefully tomorrow/friday) will have lots of power for it I may do some video editing and such just for fun :)

11. Garamond macrumors regular

12-core 2.93GHz
    Radeon 5870
    32GB RAM (4 x 8GB)
    480GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD
    3 x 2TB S-ATA drives

Because I need the power and the space.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why do you need the power and space?

Also why did you go for 4x 8GB sticks?

13. MacAddict2000 macrumors member

I had to get an Early 2009 because it was taking Apple so dang long to update the lineup. I have the base Quad-Core model with the ATI 4870. Will be upgrading to 12GB of RAM eventually.

14. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I ordered a 2,8 ghz quad with the 5870 gpu and - not via Apple - 2x4gb ram & another 1tb hd for win7. The machine will be used for Adobe CS5 Design Standard, some Cinema 4D & Final Cut Express stuff and gaming. It's not really for business use though, so I thought the 2,8 is plenty and the 3,2 or 3,3 are not worth it for me.

15. mattmower macrumors member

mattmower

I opted for the 6-core 3.33GHz, 3GB, & the 5770. I'll add 2x4GB from Crucial and an SSD from somewhere.

I do software development & audio production. The hex seemed a great mix of fast CPU and multi-tasking and was just about in my budget.

I'm using a 2007, 2.4GHz MBP with 4GB at the moment so I can't wait for it to arrive!

16. wally21 macrumors member

12-core, 2.93GHz
    6GB RAM (soon to be upgraded with 8GB sticks)
    ati 5870 video card
    1TB drive (have storage server and will be investing in an SSD soon)

use for 3D modeling and rendering (Rhino, V-Ray, etc)

I've gotten up over 32GB of RAM usage using Processing (java based programming tool if you don't know). isosurfacing can be very resource intensive.

17. milo macrumors 604

What audio app?

18. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I ordered the 3.2GHz quad, stock 3GB RAM (adding 8GB more 3rd party), and stock everything else. Should get here on friday!!:D

I had been looking at the 2.93GHz '09 quad for a while because the '09, 3.33GHz was way out of the park. So when the 2010s came out the 3.2 fit nicely.

I REALLY WANTED the hexcore, but after lots of research and internal debates I just didn't NEED it. The extra $700 wouldn't be that useful for my mostly photography based work flow. A better monitor, an SSD and more RAM is a better use of that money.

When the software I use catches up to a hex or doda-core machine, then I'll go there....

19. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Maybe you should've just bought yourself one of those bluetooth ear thingies instead. Cheaper.

Next comes the SUV/pickup truck, I guess.

20. mattmower macrumors member

mattmower

I mainly use a mixture of Logic, Live (and Max for Live), Kontakt, Omnisphere, Reaktor, and some of my own stuff written in Objective-C/Cocoa.

Matt.

21. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Very nice. I use the same exact software and plug-ins. I don't have omnisphere but I hear it's amazing.

I did however pre-order Komplete 7 so I'm very eager to hear Reaktor 5.5.

22. Garamond macrumors regular

I need it because I work in graphic industry, and I went for 4 x 8GB sticks for the possibility of going all the way to 64GB later on without the need to remove any.

23. rk25123 macrumors regular

WOW. Using CountlovE's logic you must have a micropenis! :)

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I see; can you see if you can put all 4 in one side to see if it works? I'm planning on getting 12GB in 3 sticks and getting 24GB later on…

25. mattmower macrumors member

mattmower

Not to go too far off topic but Omnisphere is a fabulous synth, so inspiring. And, in over a year, I am hardly scratching the surface of it.

Remember after you receive your K7 bundle you will still have to go sign up for the public beta on the NI site to get 5.5 as it hasn't been officially launched yet.

Matt