Which Mac Pro for Logic Pro..?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by studioacoustics, Feb 19, 2011.

1. studioacoustics macrumors newbie

Hi...

I've been using a Power Mac G5 for Logic, but need to upgrade to use my UAD-2 card and Logic Studio 9... the question is what is the best machine within reason to go for? A slower dual processor 8 core system of faster single core quad or six core?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks...

Daz.:confused:

2. Mac Composer macrumors member

I can't answer your specific question other than to say I'm running Logic 9 on a MBP, 2.66 i7, 8 GBs. I'm running 50+ tracks of virtual instruments, with a lot of FX. My samples are all installed on a separate drive, but I'm not even getting a hiccup with playback. Smooth as silk.

3. Joe Bannon macrumors regular

4. aced411 macrumors 6502

Actually you'll get the best performance with the single CPU Mac Pro. Logic doesn't do a good job of multiprocessing. It's beats up one core for most tasks. There is supposedly a way to leverage other cores/cpu's by routing tracks through different buses or something to that effect, but that's a ridiculous solution. I'd really only recommend the multi cpu pro's for those using Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects or if you're doing a lot of encoding.

On a 2009 Mac Pro single quad, I've had 45+ tracks (combination of audio and virtual instruments) all with multiple plugins running and it doesn't even flinch.

5. mark28 macrumors 68000

3.33 ghz i7 6-core is better than a 2.4 ghz 8-core Mac Pro for Logic imo. You want each core to be fast too so none will hit their ceiling.

6. Joe Bannon macrumors regular

Alright, then.... more of the best processors, the better.