Which Mac Pro Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matt1219, Sep 20, 2008.

1. matt1219 macrumors regular

I need something with lots of space and expansion. I am planning to buy a computer in Late November or Early December, so I do have time to wait for updates, which I will do. Which Mac Pro is right for me?

Refurbished Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon
    Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors
    1GB (2 x 512MB) memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
    250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200 rpm hard drive
    16x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory

$2k

-or-

Refurbished Mac Pro 8-core 2.8GHz Intel Xeon
    Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors
    2GB (2 x 1GB) of 800MHz DDR2 ECC fully buffered DIMM
    320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive
    16x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (two dual-link DVI ports)

$2.4k

Please help!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hold the phone, now.

What do you plan to do with it? If you don't need the power of the Mac Pro, get an iMac and a Drobo or some sort of external hard drive.

3. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

At first i considered the iMac (being it the basic computer for most people) but I then figured with what I'll spend expanding the iMac (Internal HD, RAM), it's only $500 less than the Mac Pro (Quad), and if I can expand more for a little bit more, why not? I am waiting for updates (on Mac Pro) on October 14, so I hope if they do update, then the 8-core will be lower.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That is absolutely NOT happening, so stop waiting.

Okay, you want expansion. But what do you DO with your computer? An iMac is more than enough for millions of people. The Mac Pro is for professional applications. It's overkill if you just want a bunch of hard drives.

You could get a 24" iMac and a 4-bay eHDD for less than the price of a Mac Pro.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

You still don't say what you're going to do with it, in terms of what apps you'll be using and why you need all that power. If you're considering the iMac, then you likely don't need the extra ooomph provided by the Pro. However, if you're seriously looking in that direction, then the base model or cheaper refurb you offered should suit your needs.

6. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I forgot. I like making music and taking and editing many videos. I am going to get Final Cut Express and maybe Logic Express. I need something fast to upload videos and process them when I have tight deadlines.

7. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

It really boils down to what you want. If you decide to get the Mac Pro, get it now - they will NOT be updated in October. January, probably. Or later.

The iMac will kick ass at video editing. (24" 2.8) If you get the Mac Pro, make sure you get the second one. That one is a beast.

8. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

I think the 8-core is the better deal. Although, I won't be able to get it until after November, so should I wait for updates in January and wait for the price to go down?