Which Mac Pro to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by citycm, Mar 18, 2009.

1. citycm macrumors newbie

For the past year I have been saving hard for a Mac Pro and waiting patiently (ok not that patiently) for the new Mac Pro to be released but like many have been put off by the price hike.

Anyway, I have decided to take the plunge and buy a Mac Pro in April but not sure which one. As I am a university student in my final year, this is my last chance to use my HE discount and the new 2.66GHz Quad Core is about £1600 with the discount which is how much the old 8 core would have cost me before the update *sigh*

Anyway, I have also seen some 8 Core 2.8GHz Mac Pros on ebay for about £1300-£1400 but obviously these are a year old, old technology, and many of them are standard spec (2GB, 320GB, no airport).

Which would you buy? Is the new quad 2.66 worth £200-£300 more than the old Octo 2.8GHz?

Thanks in advance

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

3. citycm thread starter macrumors newbie

The forum search function is absolutely useless and yes I have tried it many times.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I didn't have any issues finding those four threads, using MRoogle. Just saying...

Don

5. JasO macrumors regular

I didn't think so. I just brought a 2008 2.8 yesterday... absolutely love it =D I'd say go for it. Also the ram limitations in the 09 quad is a bit silly to me. So yeah... this was the better deal for me.

6. citycm thread starter macrumors newbie

What are the RAM limitations?

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Single quad core Mac Pro's can only take up to 8GB of RAM.

8. citycm thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that is stupid! So am I right in assuming that unlike the 08 Mac Pro's, the 09 ones use different logic boards for quad and octo?