Which Mac Pro to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scouser75, Aug 30, 2009.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Guys, I have to upgrade my Power Mac G5 because Apple so considerately have decided to drop all support for us poor G5 owners!!!

I now have to decide between a Mac Pro Quad 2.93ghz with 3GB Ram and 500GB HD OR an 2.26gz 8 Core Mac Pro with 500GB Ram.

My question is this... Which one would be better for Final Cut Studio 3 apps?

Would the Quad 2.93ghz be faster than the 8 Core 2.26ghz? Or would it be the other way round? I'm basing my judgement on the ghz speeds - the Quad having more ghz!

Apologies if my question sounds silly. I'm not too clued up when it comes to computer technicalities!

Also, I hear a small rumour that there may be possible updates in processors in September! Maybe even a minor casing design change. Anyone else heard these rumours?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think quad may be faster because there's no app that can fully use all 8 cores. If you want octo, go for 2.66GHz.

Simply, no new CPUs exist (yes, there are faster Core i7s, up to 3.33GHz, but I doubt they'll be used). No update before mid 2010 (Gulftown).

3. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Hellhammer.

Re no apps using all 8 cores... do you think buying the 8 core would make the purchase a little more "future proof" - although having read about those poor folk who bought Mac Pro's in 2008, when it comes to Apple there is no such thing as even 1 year proof!!!

If the Quads are faster than the 8 Cores, why do Apple charge more for the 8 cores?:confused:

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Two horses cost more than one, even if two are not always the best choise. :rolleyes:

5. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL! Very fair & true point made :D

So, I may be better of going for the Quad 2.93. Save myself a few quid too :D

6. AppleWorking macrumors regular

This question gets asked daily. Here, take a look at this it might help even though it was posted a while back.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=691789

In fact, if you like, bump the damn thing so others might benefit...

7. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks mate. I'll go and bump that up the order after this :)

I've done a fair bit of Searching on here and most comparisons have been for PS4 and Logic. Nothing for Final Cut Studio 3 :rolleyes: But I'll bring this into the mix in the other thread :)

8. grue macrumors 65816

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Quad will easily last ~3 years for you. Haswell should come out in 2012 and it'll have 8 cores by default meaning that we may see 32 core or even 64 core Mac Pro within few years