Which Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Nov 2, 2010.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Last year I was looking into a new computer and I got the feeling that the iMac was the best bang for your buck, hands down. Since the new Mac Pro came out, it seems like the iMac vs Mac Pro threads always point to the Mac Pro, especially since I am interested in SSD. So now I am wondering which model I should get.

SSD... Do the older Mac Pro's support SSD? I know this was touted as a "new" feature? Does that mean a refurbished MP will not have the ability to easily install SSD unless it is the newest revision? This Mac Pro on Amazon is the best seller (Amazon Link). Would SSD be easy to install there?

Also what other advantages would I have by buying the newest version compared to a slightly older model on Amazon?

2. toxic macrumors 68000

best bang for the buck is still the iMac. Mac Pros offer more and easier upgrades, but not everyone needs to multiple video cards or 24GB of RAM or a 4-drive RAID.

SSDs can connect to any computer with the proper input, usually SATA. you can put an SSD in an iMac perfectly fine, it's just more work.

the 2.66 '09 MP comes with an inferior video card (GT120), and no wireless (Apple must put it in). if neither of those are an issue for you, then go for it.

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

A lot more work to squeeze an SSD into the iMac = Lots more money, either to Apple or to a company like OWC.

In regards to the SSD: Why did Apple pitch the SSD as a new feature on the new MP? Just because Apple can install it for you?

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Im a fan of the Mac Pro over the iMac for a couple reasons.

I like that it can have more than 1 HD's(2 with the new ones) and easier to change/upgrade. Ability to upgrade is a feature I like as well, because you are stuck with gpu in an imac.

Also if anything breaks on the iMac, something small like the iSight or display, you are out a computer.

Benefits to the iMac are it comes with a 27" display, now supports up to 4 dimms of ram and is a cheaper option when all said and done (similar display + PC)

Plus the mac pro is just a beast!

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

They're not really touting it as a new feature, just a new option. You can now order it with the SSD's, not that it now supports SSD's. As has been noted, SSD's just use standard connectors generally, so no support needed in software.

jW