Which Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jtalerico, Dec 29, 2010.

1. jtalerico macrumors 6502

Sup MacRumors Community!

It is time to get a new computer. I no longer use my Quad G5, and I have been using a MacBook Pro as my primary work machine, for both Work and Personal. Not the best idea.

I am looking at getting the Mac Pro for the ability to upgrade down the road and the obvious, Speed!

I don't want to break the bank, with my wife's EDU discount I get about 300$ off. I don't think that works on a refurb.

Given how technology changes so frequently I have been reluctant to purchase a Mac. Since Sandy-Bridge is coming out early January, any of you Rumors guys think the price of the MP will decrease (Drop the Nahalim, only run Westmire and Sandy-Bridge?).

I am currently looking at the 2.4Ghz Westmire w/6GB Which is about $3400 with Tax. Will this run great with CS5, Lightroom and some XCode/Terminal coding (C,Java,PHP etc)?

2. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

A bit of info.

I'm just getting started with my Mac Pro 8 Core, 2010, I got to open it on Christmas, so i can't say much except I went from a 2005 G5 and the speed is insane! Like you I have been using a MacBook Pro for most of my work and it was not as fun, plus once I get the new Mac Pro running with everything my MacBook Pro needs to go on (Apple fixed my graphics card issue and added a new DVD player, except the DVD players stops it from sleeping when the case is shut, so I think it's the problem..)
    I only added another DVD drive, I always wanted one since they added it after my model (I think). Last night I was in a hurry and it was awesome to burn 2 digital copies at once. I know far from a big deal, but again I just started to use it. I still have some problems with migration assitant, so lots of work to do.
    depending on your work it's up to you, I hear 8 core works great with CS5. I am just trying to future proof a bit. If I really wanted to future proof I would have spent more but I simply could not do that.

3. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

So you have the same Mac as I am looking at the 2.4 Westmere ?

Did you stick with the 6GB Ram?

4. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Sandy Bridge processors for the MP won't be released until sometime mid-late 2011. Likely release of the SB MP's is sometime in 2012. There will be NO price reduction of the current lineup with the caveat that Apple moves unsold product to the refurb store when a new model is released. You're probably better off with the EDU discount than the refurb discount.

There are quite a few threads asking the same question re which MP. It would probably be worthwhile checking out those thread.

Best wishes for whatever you decide on.

5. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup -- been reading through those threads.

Interesting that Amazon has better prices then the EDU: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mac-Pro...ref=sr_du_1_map?ie=UTF8&qid=1293641340&sr=8-1

Do I still get a Apple 1yr Warranty from Amazon?

6. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

YES, if purchased from an authorized dealer. i.e. Amazon, etc. Returns/exchanges will have to done through the dealer you purchase from though.

FWIW, I prefer purchasing directly from Apple. Purchasing a MP from Apple puts you into their database for biz service/support. Might not mean much but I do value the proactive contacts from the local Apple store biz manager.

cheers
    JohnG

7. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

Considering where I work, I do a ton of dealing with the Local Apple store. I guess I could hit them up to see if they have one on the foor they would be willing to sell at a "better' price, but I doubt that will work! :)

8. brentsg macrumors 68030

Don't fear the refurbs either. There are some scripts and things to help notify you the moment a model you like becomes available.

And don't wait. Sandy Bridge is a ways off in the MP format.

9. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

Whelp... Called my local Mac store... he BEAT Amazon's price ;)

10. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

Ended up buying it from my Local Apple store since the Biz Solution Manager took good care of me! Good stuff!!

11. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

That is SOOOOO cool! Now you have a real "connection" rather than an 800#.

congrats again on your purchase!
    JohnG