Which Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gazfocus, Jan 23, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I have finally decided to buy a Mac Pro instead of an iMac :D

However, I'm stuck on specifications. When using it with photoshop/dreamweaver/fireworks (all open at the same time), would I benefit more from the 3GHz or 3.2GHz over the 8 core 2.8GHz?

Would I notice much difference between the 8 core and the 4 core 2.8GHz?

Also, would I be better off with the nVidia 8800GT or 2 Radeon 2600's?

Thanks

2. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

If you were even considering an iMac, the dual 2.8 should be ample powerful.

For the "lots of programs open at the same time" issue, more RAM is what you need... basically, the more the merrier, but don't get it from Apple. Get certified Apple memory from OWC or somewhere for a fraction of the price. I just bought 6 GB for about $380 to add to the stock 2GB.

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Hi. Thanks for your reply. My reasons for not getting an iMac are laptop parts, only dual core, same specs as my year old Windows PC, lack of hard drive upgradeability, and 4GB Max Ram.

4. zdobson macrumors 6502

I use similar programs (photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, aperture) and the 2.8 octo is PLENTY! I don't even come close to using the full power yet. Programs like Photoshop don't even use all 8 cores yet. I'm sure they will when CS4 comes though. The only thing I need over the stock config is more RAM.

Also, if you take the $800 or $1600 you'd save by sticking with the 2.8, and invest it, you'd probably be able to buy a whole new system by the time yours starts to show signs of slowing.

5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Wouldn't know where to start with investing :p but thanks for the other advice. In the UK, the upgrade from 2.8GHz to 3GHz is £500 (£430 with discount) Which would buy me a nice ACD or lots of big hard drives :)

6. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

in my mind the only people who benefit from the 3.0 and 3.2 are people who can actually equate wasted time to wasted money... if you aren't in a position to make that price difference up by having a slightly faster workflow then i really wouldn't bother, the difference between 2.8 and 3.2 is something like just under 10%, so in a 10 hour day if the computer is constantly processing (i.e. video rendering) that is potentially an hour saved (theoretically, as thats just from benchmarks not real world). But from the sound of things you aren't a crazy power user, and as the poster above says, you will benefit more from spending the money on getting more ram

read this

http://www.barefeats.com/harper3.html

I used to be someone who thought i needed the fastest and bestest, but ive come to realise you pay a premium for that, and its money wasted in terms of real world gains.. i went for the 2.8 and used the saved money on 16gb ram which is arriving tommorow, and like you i multi-task and i know that will benefit me more than the processor upgrade.

:)

7. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks. I have just read that. If I want to upgrade to 8GB RAM, am I right in assuming I would be better with 8 x 1GB's than 4 x 2GB's?

Thanks

8. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

i think the difference between having 1GBs or 2GB sticks would be insignificant but that's the correct way to do it, having either 8 or 4.. though i would personally go for the 2GB sticks (which i have done).. especially considering at macsales.com 2GB sticks would work out cheaper for you, and it will give you room to upgrade in the future, that point alone is usually worth paying extra for.. you'll kick yourself in the future if you find yourself needing more ram and having to ebay what you already have to make space.

9. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Where did you buy your RAM from? (I'm from UK too). Thanks

10. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

No. The short story is that the way in which you place your ram in the two risers really has a very minimal impact on system speed. There are only 8 slots, so if you fill them with 8x1GB then they're all full. I would opt for the 4x2GB route, leaving four slots open. If you place them in the first two slots of each riser then you can take advantage of the mythical/magical speed improvement of quad channel memory.

So, you won't really see a speed difference, but the future expandability is worth considering. Of course, the 8x1GB might be a bit cheaper.

Lots of threads in this forum about Mac Pro memory.

11. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Ok, so this is what I'm looking to order. Can I have your thoughts?

Mac Pro
    2GB (2x1GB)
    Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3
    Two 16x SuperDrives
    Apple Keyboard & Mac OS
    Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    Country kit
    AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)

Would I have any use for 2 Superdrives? I have 2 DVDRW's in my Windows PC which I use ocassionally for disc to disc copying.

Also, will the 2GB RAM be sufficient for a while because Crucial don't seem to have any compatible RAM

12. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I know it's a pro machine, etc, but don't you get Front Row with a Mac Pro? I've noticed that you don't get an Apple Remote 'in the box' and there's no option to add one either.

13. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

You don't have to have two burners to copy disks. You copy a disc to a disc image first and then burn that.

Crucial has memory in stock. Not sure what you looked at. Their prices aren't always the best though. Try owc (other world computing) or newegg. They are both popular on this forum.

14. Joe Bannon macrumors regular

Get the best you can afford. I got EVERYTHING. Thing kicks ass.

15. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm from UK and Crucial UK don't have the RAM in stock and I'd rather not buy from abroad due to customs and if anything goes wrong, etc.

16. zdobson macrumors 6502

IMO, leave the 2nd bay open for Blu-Ray when available.

17. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

So the Mac Pro comes with 2 1GB sticks, is it ok to say purchase 2 2GB sticks to mix in? or do you want all the sticks of memory to have the same capacity. 6x 1GB vs 2x 1GB and 2x 2GB

18. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

IMO with the prices of RAM at the moment being fairly low, I would just buy 4 x 2GB and put them in with the 2 x 1GB Apple sticks.

19. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

Got ya, thx

BTW, I'm a Man Utd Supporter :)

20. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Me too...but don't tell the scousers :p

21. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I picked up the 2.8 8-core + Airport 13 days ago with my Edu discount and a printer in the £60 off offer. First thing I did was load up all my usual programs - Word, Photoshop, Safari, iTunes, Flash, Dreamweaver, Garageband... handled it admirably!

Installed XP, ran some games - BioShock, COD4 - no problems on high with the default ATi and default 2.8 - if anything it just needs some more RAM for handling the OSX apps and it's gravy.

Never mind the 3.0 or 3.2, get the 2 x quad 2.8 use the money toward 4-8GB of (3rd party) RAM and you have a monster in your hands!

22. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks jnc :) Was going to go to the bullring to have a play on them but I wouldn't be able to get my HE discount there and I'd be too tempted to buy it there and then :p

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with the 2.8GHz 8 core but up the graphics to the 8800GT. It's nice to know that COD4 works though...bought it for my PC when it first came out but not even installed it yet lol

23. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

That's exactly where, and how, I purchased my Mac Pro. You can use your uni discount in-store, a lot of people for some reason think you can't!

24. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Did you get the full 14% off? When I phoned them, the girl I spoke to said "Sorry, you can only use it online" which i knew was inaccurate to some extend because you can order over the phone with HE discount

25. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Total including £70 printer and £27 Airport was £1565 so.. £1468 - ish instead of £1749. Yep, HE Mac Pro discount is 16% ;)