Which Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Genghis Khan, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Hey Guys,
    I'm looking at buying a new mac pro, and I'm considering a refurb. Here are my options...

Nehalem Mac Pro 2.66 Quad - AU$4100

refurb Harpertwon Mac Pro 2.8 Octo - AU$3400

I'll be using it mainly for rendering, and according to my convoluted calculations (using the cinebench benchmarks and the apple benchmarks), they will render about the same speed.

Currently, I'm leaning towards the refurb...does anyone think the extra $700 is definately worth it?
    Also, what can I do about wireless if the refurb doesn't come with the airport chip?

Thanks everyone,
    - Michael

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I would go with the refurb. In addition to being cheaper, it can address a lot more RAM than the new Quad, so if you're doing anything intensive (RAM-wise), it will be faster.

I believe the Airport card can be installed later, but I seem to recall reading it can be a bit tricky...

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would buy the latest. You'll appreciate stuff that you can use, not theoretical differences like amount of memory (RAM). If you need more than 8GB, then you'd probably have enough money to buy the octrad version.

4. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I'd go for the Refurb Octa-core. 8-core + 32GB max RAM + More affordable.

5. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

second it 4 all da same reasons

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:confused: Tests have shown that the two systems are about the same speed - at least for the rendering the OP plans on doing. So I'm not sure what you mean by "stuff that you can use". The OP can almost certainly use more RAM, which the Quad won't support.

So I'm not sure why spending more money for a machine that's the same speed and has fewer expansion options makes sense...

7. Genghis Khan thread starter macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Thanks guys :)

I've decided to order the refurb. I'll spend the money I save on RAM and an extra hard drive.

It should be here Monday/Tuesday :)

- Michael