Which Mac runs quietest in this list?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *old-guy*, Nov 6, 2008.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

Hi Guys,
    I have been looking on eBay for a Mac.
    I already have an old G3 B&W but now that I have had it and got familiar with the OS, I now need something better. Unfortunately, I ain't made of cash so I can't just go and buy the latest Mac that there is.
    My shortlist is as follows (in no particular order of choice) ....

1 ... Apple Emac G4 800Mhz 40GB HDD, 1GB RAM, DVD/CD-RW with original keyboard and mouse running OS 10.1.4 (NO disks)

2 ... MAC MINI 1.42ghz 80g HD 512mb RAM. Mac OS 10.4, Tiger, DVD-RW. Comes with all the disks and leads but no monitor.

3 ... iMac G4 (Gooseneck) 800Mhz 768Mb RAM 60Gb HDD Airport card running 10.4 comes with system disks, keyboard and mains cable.

Those are the 3 TYPES of Mac I have been looking at and any Do's and Don't's would be appreciated.
    They all can be mine for under £150. One of them WELL under, lol
    The only thing is that as well as performance, a major concern is how noisy the Mac is. Is there a big difference between the noise they make when running?

It will not be used for any kind of power intensive work. No video editing or anything like that. Mostly web surfing and text editing (and trying out ViaVoice)

Thanks for any help.
    Steve

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

I can only comment on Nos 1 & 3, and of those two the G4 iMac is the quieter. The eMac gets pretty wound up in hot conditions but is fine otherwise.

Make yourself fully aware of the potential eMac capacitor issue, it is widely discussed on this and other forums. It may be that the eMac you're considering has had its capacitors replaced. That should be checked.

If it's not a pressure situation for you, I'd suggest that you Google extensively for information, blogs, reviews, etc on the three Macs you're considering.

3. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

If the G4 iMac had a faster cpu I would go for it. But the Mini should trump it.
    Both are quiet for desktops.

4. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Yes go for the mini, very quiet. Plus it is a very capable little piece of equipment.
    If your going for a g4 series ppc then try to stick with one in the 1.25hz to 1.42hz This will run 10.4 and 10.5 with no problems.

5. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies, guys.

So let me see if I have got this straight.
    They are all fairly quiet. You could have each of them running while watching TV and the noise from them wouldn't be too distracting (but the eMac would score lowest)
    The Mini would be best because of its speed but if speed doesn't REALLY matter, and bearing in mind that I can do all I need to do on a 300 mhz G3 B&W except the ViaVoice, I may be best allowing the price to rule my actions.
    Stick to a budget of what either type is worth TO ME which I can do now that you guys have told me that the Mac mini and the G4 iMac are both quiet enough.
    Many thanks,
    Steve