Which Mac should a student get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Amnak, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Amnak macrumors 6502

Hey all, Im a graphic design student. I wanted to know from people who have already been through college as to weather or not having a laptop was necessary for graphics classes. I had a MBP before and when i went on a college visit about a year ago i vaguely remember them telling me i needed one. Those 27inch iMacs are calling me so i was thinking iPad iMac combo. I'm not making this decision till the revision so no rush of the MBP.

2. rovitotv macrumors member

Mac Book seems perfect for school to me

When I was in college I would of killed for just a simple Mac Book. Keep in mind I was not a graphics student but a computer science student. Still I think a fully loaded Mac Book would take you a long way especially if you hooked up an external display, mouse, and keyboard for when you are at your desk.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I really like the mb for college. That is my reccomendation, not to mention, that is what I did for the 2nd half of my college

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

For college, the portability of a MB or MBP seems to trump everything else, IMO. I'd look at a MacBook with an external monitor if you're doing graphic design.

Don't get me wrong, the iMac is certainly a fine machine - but my experience in college is that the portability of a notebook was far more important.

My advice is to skip the iPad as a college or studying tool. It might make a great toy, but I'd recommend the functionality of a full-blown Mac computer.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd agree, I really the portability of my MacBook Pro for college and would recommend a laptop and external monitor over a desktop. The iPad is great but it can't replace an actual laptop for college.

6. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks every one that just put me back into perspective I loved my pro and it makes more sense i 100% forgot about external monitors.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I'd go a 13" macbook or macbook pro and an external monitor with keyboard and mouse

That's basically what I did and it's nice to have portability on the go and be able to go back to the dorm and connect to a big monitor.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its a bit $$$ but I LOVE the 13inch mbp + Apple cinema display combo although to lower the cost any external display would work.

Youll want the larger screen (or run in dual screens) in your dorm for major graphic work, but the portability of the 13 inch going from class to class.

9. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

i would recommend a 17" MacBook Pro, high graphical power... and this revision i'm guessing it could potential to have a 1GB Graphics card... plus due to its 1,920 x 1,080 display on a small screen... it will make your graphics work look that good it will hurt your eyes (not literally... just a figure of speech lol) and if you really feel the need for a larger display i recommend buying a ACD on top of that :)