Which Mac should I buy for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mtthwcmn1, Nov 19, 2011.

1. mtthwcmn1 macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

Hi! I am debating between buying the entry level 27" iMac with a student discount, or the entry level 15" MacBook Pro with a student discount. Which one out of the two is more powerful?

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

"powerful" is a word i associate with the processor. i think the 15" is more powerful. you can upgrade on the imac to a better processor, though.

one cool thing with the mbp is that you can upgrade to an ssd. if you are asking about "faster" at certain tasks, then the ssd wins hands down.

the real question is: what will you do with it?

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I would buy the christmas mac!!

Jokes aside i agree with palpatine.

Attached Files:

4. mtthwcmn1 thread starter macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

I'm going to be a college student, so some web browsing, codeblocks, word processing.

5. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Get the laptop over a desktop if you are going to be a college student and would ever want to take your computer with you from class to class.

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Yeahhh, if you don't have a laptop for college yet, go MBP or MBA for sure.

7. szolr macrumors 6502

Desktop > laptop when desktop price = laptop price. That's a reasonable generalisation I've always found. And I've hardly moved my Macbook Pro as a student-so I could have got an iMac for the same price with a lot more horsepower. :/

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

The entry level 27 inch iMac is more powerful than the entry level 15 inch MBP. However the laptop is more versatile.

9. szolr macrumors 6502

Versatile? Can you contextualise that for me? Define versatile.

10. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I think what he means by 'versatile' is more mobile, lighter and easier to take places...

But IMHO, I'd have to go for the Macbook Pro, for what he's going to be doing with it, I'd pick the MBP over the iMac everyday...

11. johnhw macrumors 6502

If you're gonna go out all the time (for College, etc.) I suggest getting the MacBook. If you have some extra cash I suggest getting a Thunderbolt Display. Best of Both Worlds.

12. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I guess in truth I did mean portable. I should have been more specific, so thank you.
    However power wise the iMac is the one to go for. But I can't help thinking that a laptop is more useful for a student.

13. 1goodidea macrumors member

Buy an entry level 21.5 iMac and an iPad 2 instead of your choices.

If you are even considering an iMac over a laptop you obviously consider portability not an essential factor. I've had 3 work laptops over the years and the last one never left my desk (yes never in 2 years). Of course some people carry them around everyday but it seems likely that you are not one of these people. I'm not sure what an iPad would be like for taking notes in class someone else may be able to advise on that but I think I would have liked to use one when I was there (although they weren't invented then).

14. Tech198 macrumors G4

cute !!

WIsh all macs came like that for xmas :)

I too, am looking for a mac around xmas time. The MBA, although ulta thin, didn't prove up to performance, as i would would to play the odd games. I don't think Skyrim would work too well. Also, doung handbrake stuff, Parallels, and just the usual browsing/emailing.

So, my choices are either an iMac (base model), or MBP 15".

Just out of curiousity, since both the iMac, and MBP comes with the AMD 6750M with 512MB VRAM. why is the resolution higher on the imac ? 1920x1080 vs 1440x900 on the Macbook Pro. Aspect ratio and all aside, shouldn't the images on the imac be less detailed as if at the same resolution, therefore the pixals would get bigge ?

15. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Native resolution is dependent on the display panel itself, not really the GPU. Pretty much every modern GPU can handle 1080p resolution for most things, that's why when you plug the MBP into an external display it can push more pixels to the display depending on what the resolution of the display is.

16. appleamg macrumors newbie

Portability is portability ;) . Get the MacBook Pro . That's what I'm going to do .

17. Trav29 macrumors member

In that case go MBA.

18. Rondofan9 macrumors member

College student? I would get a laptop...

You'll take it with you, and rapidly type during lectures. A lot better than a notepad.

Ultimately:
    Mac mini: $600
    Monitor: $100
    Keyboard Mouse: $20-100
    Large External HD: $100
    Macbook Air: $900

You're looking at about $1800-2100, if you were considering the 27" iMac this should be in your price range. Take that macbook air with you on campus, use the hell out of it, take good notes, go home, upload them to your mac mini/external hard drive.

But if you feel you must have either a mbp or 27" iMac.... and the reason you're buying a mac is because of college... id say you need the mbp. If you just wanted to update your computer then the iMac.

19. JTravers macrumors 6502a

Definitely get the MBP if you need the computer for college. Having the option of taking your computer everywhere you go is a big positive.