Which Mac should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kinpachi, Jul 7, 2012.

1. kinpachi macrumors newbie

I'm confused on whether to buy the Mid 2012 MBP or the rMBP , I live in Dubai , It's surprising that I've found the mid 2012 MBP 2.6 ghz i7 , 8gb ram , 750 gb, for 2178 US Dollars, and the rMBP 2.3 ghz i7 , 8gb ram, 256 gb for 2450 US Dollars. Also, if I bought the rMBP i'll have to buy an optical drive for about 100$ so thats like 2550$. The question now, it seems to me that the main difference between the MBP and the rMBP is the screen resolution, the MBP is 720p I think. I need to know if the resolution worth's the extra 400$?. I won't be using the mac on gaming since I have ps3 and xbox 360 to do that. However, I use photoshop cs6 to do some editing. So, which one should I get?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I for one wouldn't purchase the rMBP. I'm sure it is a wonderful machine, but for me I would rather wait for Apple to iron out any kinks, and perfect the process.

3. ljx718 macrumors 6502

which kinks?

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Your paying extra for:screen, SSD, light weight, thinness

5. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

If you want to give buying advice, give it. What needs to be worked on that doesn't fall into the line of "general technological progress?"

6. kinpachi thread starter macrumors newbie

about the weight, the MBP is 2.5kgs but the rMBP is 2kg , I dun think thats too much of a difference o_O .

7. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

ftfy

8. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

Anyone that is even considering the original macbook pro, should get the macbook pro.

9. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

It is a difference to some and not to others. If you are casual about your mobile computing, eh, probably not that big of a deal. When you work in the field and have to travel fast and light... you appreciate every pound saved.

10. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

I was under the same dilemma and went with the non-retina. They both offer their ups and downs. You get a better display and somewhat of a better design for a bit more - but lose the upgradability. I didn't like the idea of actually paying upfront for all the upgrades and being stuck with them for the next 5 years (probably the time I would keep this laptop for). I got the average build and the hardware will get cheaper in next 3 years or so for me to easily upgrade.

I've always owned laptops with 1920x1080 resolution...but to be honest, this is not bad at all. The 1680 resolution is really good on the non-retina and the text look sharp that I can't tell the difference (this is an average user's perspective). Once again, this is really your decision though. Good luck!

11. leman macrumors 604

Its a very big difference once you start carrying it around ;)

12. psykick5 macrumors 6502

The price difference between a high end 15 and the rMBP isn't even that much. That's why I got one. It's worth it.