Which Mac should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Antney1234, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Antney1234 macrumors newbie

Hello I'm pretty new to the forums and I'm probabily going to be posting and going on this site more since I really like it. I want to get a macbook for my b-day. I want it to last through university and I am going to be using the Internet ALOT,check mail, make videos, listen to music, make school reports etc. I am not going to play any games on it. Which MacBook is good for me. I will only will spend up to $2000(macbook pro) I have seen problems with the MacBook with screen problems and peices chipping off. I don't want spend extra money on fixing it and I don't want to get apple care. I really like macs with all there applications, organization and how they look sleek. I don't want a mac with problems occuring when I get it and use it for years to come. Which macbook should I get? Thanks! :)

2. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I would get the black MacBook... that should suffice your needs.

Unless you are a heavy gamer or plan on doing intense 3D work, the MBP is overkill. Just put your money into a nice MacBook.

Word of advice: Get base RAM and upgrade it yourself. You will save ALOT.

3. Antney1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Umm this is my first Mac and im new to using them so what does that mean and how do i do it?:confused:

Thanks for your help:)

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

RAM (random access memory) is where the computer (any computer, Mac or PC) stores things it's working with for quick access, more RAM will give your computer more room to work with and thus make it faster at some tasks. RAM is fairly cheap at the moment, and Apple overprices their RAM dramatically. It is recommended that if you wish to upgrade your RAM that you purchase it from a website such as this one and put it in yourself. On the MacBook this procedure is fairly simple and can be easily done. To better illustrate the procedure, I will point you to this tutorial.

Just so you know, the 2 Gbs of RAM that come with the higher end MacBooks should be fine for your usage.

5. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

The middle macbook/blackbook will be more than enough. Save the $$$ from the pro and get applecare-i can't stress that enough.