Which Mac should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ranny2, Sep 2, 2011.

1. ranny2 macrumors member

Hi there,

I am looking to buy my first Mac to complement my iPad 2. Uses aren't very intensive: word processing, iLife, Internet browsing etc.

My options are:

Mac Mini:
    2.3GHz i5, 8GB of RAM, 500GB HDD
    Price: £670

MacBook Pro:
    2.3GHz i5, 4GB of RAM, 320GB HDD
    Price: £800

iMac:
    2.5GHz i5, 4GB of RAM, 500GB HDD
    Price: £850

Please bear in my that my funds are limited, the cheaper the better! Thanks!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well do you need portability or not? That will determine a lot. If you don't, and already have a monitor, go for the Mini and all you need is a mouse and keyboard. Otherwise go for a base model iMac or if a laptop, get a regular MacBook, not Pro.

3. treestar macrumors 6502

I would normally suggest the MBP because it's portable, but you already have the iPad 2. If you think you want a big landing zone at home, definitely the iMac. I don't think the Mac Mini offers the Apple experience. Notebooks are so in right now.

----------

Apple killed the MacBook when the MBA came out.

4. ranny2 thread starter macrumors member

I don't really need portability, so I guess it's down to the Mini or the iMac.
    I don't have a monitor, but the price stated includes a £130 monitor, which I can choose at a later date. I would be able to afford the Mini much sooner, but I guess the iMac is more powerful. Do I really need the power though for my uses?

Thanks.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow! I totally missed that one. I never really paid a lot of attention to the regular MacBook so I never noticed they stopped selling it.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

For what you say you want to use it for, the Mini will suit you just fine.

7. treestar macrumors 6502

The iMac will come with a lot more. Apple displays are gorgeous, you'll get the Bluetooth keyboard and get to pick between the mouse and trackpad. Please try to save for the iMac. It is also a lot less clutter in your home!