Which Mac should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hatchet, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Hatchet macrumors regular

I am a webmaster and am looking to buy the Adobe Creative Suite Web Premium for my needs and am seeking advise on which mac to get to power my professional software + personal use.

Adobe Creative Suite Web Premium contains:
    Dreamweaver CS3
    Flash CS3 Professional
    Photoshop CS3 Extended
    Illustrator CS3
    Fireworks CS3
    Acrobat 8 Professional
    Contribute CS3
    Adobe Bridge CS3
    Version Cue CS3
    Adobe Device Central CS3
    Acrobat Connect

I'd like to know what computer best fits me with the following notes and will run the Creative Suite very well with multiple applications open.

Some notes:
    • I have a pretty much brand new Dell 2407 Monitor.
    • I'd like to have my itunes collection on this computer, as well as my photo albums and such.
    • I do not game.
    • I do not edit video, but there is always a possibly i may for home videos in the future.
    I was considering the MacPro with a Single Quad Core as I don't need (or at least I don't think I need) the full 8 core power.

An iMac seems to be my best bet as far as specs, but I don't need the monitor and the MacPro seems the best for future upgrades as I'd want this computer for the next 3-4 years.

Macmini seems too underpowered.

Thoughts? Advice? I've been trying to switch for months now and I can't come up with a good configuration. :(

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

mac pro all the way man. your going to love the power and the ability to do everything you want with ease. future upgrades will be very helpful for you in the long run and the pro will allow you to do that with ease. You don't need the biggest one, but i think you will be happy with that selection. The imac would be close and could probably handle what you want, but i think for what your going to be doing the mac pro is the way to go.

3. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I'd go for the mini, but thats because I'm cheap :p

The iMac sounds like a good bet for you, and you can have an external display for you. If you want to upgradability, go for the Mac Pro.

4. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

Also, if i do end up going with the MacPro, what should I or shouldn't I configure with it?

Should I go with upgrading the ram at Apple and getting any additional stuff?

Is it better to get upgrades through a non-apple vendor? Even with zero knowledge on how to configure them in OSX?

5. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

bottom of the line mac pro should suit your needs, and get your RAM from a third party. Apple charges a fortune! No need to configure, just plug them in the right hole! Its like a childs toy!

6. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

First rule of thumb: never ever buy ram or extra Hdd for that matter from apple. go to places like macsales.com or crucial for your memory options. apple has notoriously been overpricing these upgrades. The installation of these two upgrades are very easy on a macpro. i would recommend at least 4gb of ram if you are going to be having multiple apps open at the same time. as far as hdd space goes, it all depends on how much music and photos, ect, you have. like i said before, it is very easy to upgrade both of these things in the future if you are on a tight budget so don't think you have to get everything right away. see what works or doesn't work at first, and upgrade as needed.

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Well, the iMac would probably be fine power-wise. and like Shadow says, you could always use the Dell as a second monitor. But if you can afford one of the Mac Pros, that sounds like a good bet for you.

8. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Low-end Mac Pro sounds like the best bet for you :)

9. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

So upgrading harddrives are simply just plugging them in the slots and the macpro recognizes them?

Also, is it better off getting the 8-core or is that even needed in my case?

10. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Your first Question:Yes
    Second: i think the 8 core might be over kill for you.

11. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

As far as HD's go for the MacPro, are there any deemed quieter than others?

I may just end up going to my Apple Retail Store here and just picking up a standard Mac Pro so I can start figuring it all out.

I don't even know where to start.

12. beast macrumors member

If you think that the standard 8 core mac pro is overkill.... take a look at the apple refurb store. You'll still get a powerfull (previous gen) mac pro and with the money you save, you can spend its on third party ram.

13. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I would say a Macbook Pro would be best, you can run it in Desktop Mode (Lid Closed) Or Dual Monitor, It will easily do what you want it for, and you may find you like the added Portability and Size.

14. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I can't comment on how quite they are, but the tower for the mac pro is great and i would think that it wouldn't be crazy loud by any means. If you can, go to an apple store and check em out in person. your on the right track and asking the right questions, i know its a big investment and you only want to make sure you are doing the right thing.

15. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

I just got back from a trip to the Apple Retail store near me and played on the 2.8GHZ Quad Core with 4GB Ram and....WOW!

I am sold on it. I'll be getting mine by June 1st for sure. Thanks for all the help. I'll probably be back here getting advice on how to upgrade my ram and hd's when i get it delivered.

:)

16. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

glad you had a good experience! ask all the questions you have! good luck with your soon purchase and enjoy it when you do!

17. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I have the 8 core, and it's absolutely SILENT -- You'll dig the Mac Pro, it's an awesome machine :)

-Bryan

18. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

I reckon MBP would easily take care of all your needs, why not have the added portability aswell? Mac Pro would be good but if MBP would serve your needs for cheaper then why not?

19. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

MacBook pro 17" with your external display plus an external hard drive or a MacPro.

20. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I would MUCH rather get a macbook pro 15" than a mac pro since they cost about the same. The MBP has the power you need plus its a laptop, the MP has too much power you will never use and its just a desktop. Hooking the MBP up to the monitor and using it as a desktop with an extra keyboard/mouse works fine.

21. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I disagree, althou the MacBook Pro is a very good laptop for a pro user it no match for a MacPro. Once you start using a few pro apps at the same time the 4GB in the MacBook Pro is taken up easily, in you had the MacPro you can upgrade. The MacBook Pro also will heat up if used a lot, i find i have to use a raiser (something that will allow air to flow under the laptop) if i wanted to use it for long periods of time.

If the Original poster wants a mobil computer then the MacBook Pro is the only option but in this case the MacPro is the best option.

22. FCDP macrumors regular

This is some what true, but if portability isn't really a requirement, I'd get the Mac Pro. I currently use a MBP for the same purpose, and running multiple CS3 apps while also running VMWare to test for browser compatibility, you tend to start getting bogged down(Granted I only have 2GB right now on my MBP, upping it to 4GB shortly).

If portability is a consideration, go MBP, and up it yourself to 4GB. If you don't need portability, get the Mac Pro, you'll love the performance.

23. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i think for the OP the macpro would be good. something to start off with and then he can always upgrade with ease in the future if he feel as though he needs more ram, hdd space, ect.

24. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

Right there is the issue for me. I can't quite justify spending over $2500 on a laptop that can only be customized to a certain extent. I figure if I'm going to switch, go with a machine that can be customized heavily if i get bored with it or need more space/ram.

If i could get both, I would. But money doesn't grow on trees. :) It's expensive to become a mac owner, but I think it will really pay off for my business and personal use if i get a machine that I won't have buyers remorse if it gets updated immediately and that can be tweaked and changed easily.

25. PNW macrumors regular

The reason you can't come up with a good configuration is Apple doesn't make one. If you want to switch you're going to have to take a hit somewhere.

I'll jump in with the contrary view. Even the quad-core Mac Pro is way overkill for what you are doing. It's a fantastic machine, but it's also a truckload of money. It uses server grade RAM so even with 3rd party sticks it's still going to cost more to bump than an iMac or Mini. While it is upgradeable you can't just go grab any video card and shove it in there. You've got to use what ever Apple is willing to code drives for. While internal drives are nice you can use external drives or NAS to bump the storage of an iMac or mini.

The current mini would actually work for you albeit just barely. It's due for a refresh that will hopefully include better on-board graphics if not the dedicated video card many of us want. I'd wait a few weeks for an updated mini then go take a look at one. Replacing the mini every 3 years will cost you less than replacing the MP every 6.

If you have to buy now I'd consider the 2.4 ghZ iMac. The 20" has a really bad screen for image work, but you could use your current monitor as a second and just do all of your image editing on that, or you could spring for the 24" which has an OK but not great screen. Glossy is your only option with the iMac so you'll have to decide how you feel about that. It's also worth noting that as soon as someone makes a 4GB stick the current iMacs can run 8GB of RAM.