which mac should i get??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by isaclare, Aug 25, 2008.

1. isaclare macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I'm an architect and a PC user, because I mostly deal with construction documents in AutoCad. I am tired of windows, though, and terrified of even starting to deal with vista. I still have a large Dell laptop with my autocad in it, which I use for working on that specifically, but I want to get a Mac for the other things I do, which is basically photography (nothing too fancy, some photoshop and illustrator) and my writing. I love the idea of the Mac Air, just because it's so light I could take it around anywhere I went on my trips. I've never owned a Mac, so I don't even know what would work best, but I would like something on the light side.
    Thanks!! By the way, is it now possible to use AutoCad with a PC??

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Well, if you like the MacBook Air, then get it! Just know that it runs quite hot and cannot be used for such heavy duty tasks. People say it's usable for light-duty PhotoShop. It's great for on-the-go activities such as writing (as you mentioned) because it's so light and inconspicuous (dimensions, at least). To get to know the MacBook Air better, watch the MacBook Air intro: http://www.apple.com/macbookair/guidedtour/

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I think you meant using AutoCad with a Mac. I'm not sure if AutoCad is available for Macs, but one option is to install Windows on a Mac using BootCamp or Virtualization software, such as VMWare or Parallels.

With regards to the Air, it's a very nice machine. But we aware that since it does not have a built in optical drive, you will either need to buy the external drive from Apple or you can download software from Apple so you can "borrow" your PC's optical drive in case you need to install software for CD's or DVD's. Because of this most people buy an Air as a secondary machine.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

As for AutoCAD, it's only available for windows. (system requirements) :(
    BTW, Vista is stable enough, and drivers are available these days. ;)
    If you want to run it on a Mac, use Boot Camp. VM Fusion/Parallels wouldn't be the best way to do it, imho.

As for a Mac, do you really need two laptops, assuming you plan to continue to use you're current one? More info may be helpful. :)

5. isaclare thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. If I do decide to get the Mac Air, what is necessary to buy with it? Or where should I do some homework on it??