which mac should i get??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by isaclare, Aug 21, 2008.

1. isaclare macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I'm an architect and a PC user, because I mostly deal with construction documents in AutoCad. I am tired of windows, though, and terrified of even starting to deal with vista. I still have a large Dell laptop with my autocad in it, which I use for working on that specifically, but I want to get a Mac for the other things I do, which is basically photography (nothing too fancy, some photoshop and illustrator) and my writing. I love the idea of the Mac Air, just because it's so light I could take it around anywhere I went on my trips. I've never owned a Mac, so I don't even know what would work best, but I would like something on the light side.
    Thanks!! By the way, is it now possible to use AutoCad with a PC??

2. MacNichi macrumors newbie

MacNichi

Same boat!

I too will be purchasing a macbook in the coming week! It sounds like we are similar in our problem as far as choice goes. I'll be commencing Interior Design next year. I've tried really hard to obtain pc requirements from the school but the general IT guy advised me "PC all the way" as I would most likely be using Autocad for my course. This didn't sit well with me as I knew the Mac's were intergrated with windows and that should this ever be an issue, I could run autocad via bootcamp. If you travel alot, then the mac air would be great for you. It has that extra grunt that you may find you need even if just for the storage of all your projects. I'm no expert! I'm just giving my opinion. I've been reading a heap for a few months online, calling stores and getting to know the product a bit better. I am going into Apple this week, and I think for me, the white macbook will be more than suitable (for much the same as you are using it for). I'm gonna pimp it out though, 250HDD and 4GRam in white! I can't wait! Let me know how you go. Personally, I'd just go the mac, best of both worlds, a change for you and it seems like your going that way anyway! :p