Which mac to buy for iPhone Development

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maccer1, Sep 15, 2009.

1. maccer1 macrumors newbie

I need some advice on which mac to purchase for iphone development, any of them are up for consideration except the mac pro. I work with computers but I have never been a programmer at all, and not 100% sure I'll stick with it. I've had an idea brewing for an app for a year now and just now started studying objective-c and going through some of the iphone classes and now I'm ready to try some of the exercises. I want to get started right away but I need a mac first. I had a 24" imac for a while and loved it but sold it last year because it was too much money just sitting there for web surfing, email, and hulu movies. I know any of the macs are powerful enough but I can't make up my mind. A cheap mini to try my hand at it, a 15" mbp and then get a 24" Cinema, 13" mb with a cinema? MBA with cinema? Even a 20" imac? I think a laptop is the way to go, but I have dual monitors on my PC at work and duals on my PC at home and am wondering how much screen real estate I'll need to develop for the iphone. Would a 13" or 15" laptop be enough to get started? Thanks.

2. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Unless you actually need portability for this, I wouldn't recommend getting a 15 or 17 inch MBP. An iMac is significantly cheaper and has more screen real-estate.