Which Mac to buy? So excited!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by obelix, Dec 19, 2007.

1. obelix macrumors member

Ok so I'm a web developer and I have decided it's finally time for me to get a new system (I have to return my current MacBook Pro to my employer). I travel quite a bit so a laptop would be handy, but I have been quite frustrated with my MacBook Pro when it comes to hard-drive speed at times. It also can be a bit of a beast when I run Parallels.

I can either afford to buy one new MacBook Pro or I could buy a MacBook and an iMac for almost the same price.

Also is it likely anything big is coming down the line? I'd hate to buy and then find out they've come out with something amazing 2 days later.

What would you guys buy?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Whatever you do, if you can wait until after MWSF in Jan.

Working between 2 machines isn't all that easy. I'd just go the route of the MacBook Pro, you can always treat yourself to an external screen for it down the line too.

3. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Absolutely wait until MacWorld SF in mid-January.

4. wightstraker macrumors regular

This is just my view, but don't buy an iMac. You're essentially paying for a laptop with an aluminum stand. Hard to upgrade, built-in screen? What happens if a pixel dies? Kind of defeats the point of a desktop.

5. obelix thread starter macrumors member

Interesting I really did think that people would have been more into having two machines, but now that I come to think of it I guess it would be a considerable pain to have to be constantly switching between the two systems.

A couple of questions.

- a 7200rpm drive? Is it worth it? I know you can upgrade to one. Better to get one that isn't made by Apple?
    - 17" or 15" what do you guys like?
    - 2.4Ghz core due or 2.6Ghz? Does it really matter?
    - Any other recommends?

I have asked if I could hold off giving it back until January 18th, but no news yet as to whether this will happen so I have to prepare for the worst.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I don't know about that. How many 24" laptops does Apple sell? What happens if a pixel dies on a Macbook? How upgradable are the notebooks?

This is just my opinion but if you want a nearly silent desktop with a beautiful 20" or 24" screen and a minimal footprint you can't beat the iMac.

I'd like to have a Macbook Pro as well but they are not in competition with each other. It all depends on what your needs are.

7. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

MBP. It's a portable iMac, best of both. And no damn glossy screen (unless you choose it...)

8. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Well, I love my combo of MB and iMac 24". Comes in handy when more than one computer is needed, too. And if one (heaven forbid) needs service.

9. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

7200rpm drive - Get it. It's a big factor in your computer's speed, especially boot times.
    Screen size - 15" Should be fine, unless you need the extra real estate.
    CPU speed - 2.4Ghz seems to be the best value, you won't notice the 200Mhz difference.
    Other stuff - Third party ram. Maybe a second battery? I've heard the battery life isn't the greatest, so having 2 batteries would be a good idea.