Which Mac to buy...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dizfunctions, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Dizfunctions macrumors newbie

I'm currently looking at 3 things:

2012 used MacBook pro 15 inch retina with dedicated graphics

2013 MacBook pro retina 13 inch

2013 baseline MacBook pro retina 15 inch

I'm not sure which one to go with. Is mainly be programming and playing League of Legends.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't play games, but I'd say focus on the 15" models as they'll give you more screen real estate.

3. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

If you are into gaming get the one with dGPU. For everything else the late 13 rMBP would be at least as good

4. Dizfunctions thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... Things to think about...

I definitely would appreciate the real estate, but I haven't been able to visit an apple store and see the products...

5. rex450se macrumors regular

From my experience having a 13" MBP and a 15" rMBP I would suggest the 2013 15" retina. Unless you are doing a lot of gaming or have the money burning a hole in your pocket I think the base 2013 15" would be great for what you need. And jumping from the 13" to 15" not only gets you the i& but quad core instead of the dual core. I think it will last you longer having a little bit beefier of a computer. And with the new one you get a new warranty and a year to buy AppleCare. If you can use Educational pricing that is a great machine for $1900.

Victor

6. Dizfunctions thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the input Victor! I was comparing the dimensions to my current computer, a 13 inch Pc, and found the 15 inch was barely bigger in size and actually weighed less than my current computer!

7. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Get the best of both worlds - price and power - get a refurb. Go to Apple's Refurb Page, and look at the $2599 model that's listed at $2199. You could also wait around and check their refurb page every so often to try to find a previous generation rMBP at an even higher discount.

8. Dizfunctions thread starter macrumors newbie

This is definitely something I will run to do! Do you think it would be wise to purchase from eBay? I'm getting some good deals on there...

9. Gman021 macrumors regular

I'm not an expert but the apple refurb online store seems to have great deals on the 15" retina MacBook pros.

You have 14 days to return it to an apple store, and you have a year warranty. Same stuff as if you had bought it brand new at an apple store.

10. Dizfunctions thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, definitely something in looking at! It's a really good deal! Even better than education pricing...

Now, I'd I bought it online, it would come with all the software as well, right?

11. Gman021 macrumors regular

12. Dizfunctions thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! I'm definitely interested in buying refurbished.

13. luminouslight, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

I bought a refurb i7 15" with the 750m and saved me $400. The best purchase ever for me. It only had 5 battery cycles when i got it so it's basically brand new. If it wasn't for the cardboard box Apple sent it in you would never even think it's a refurb model. Refurb is a great deal if you can find one in the specs you want, go for it i'd say.

14. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

No you didn’t.

15. Dizfunctions thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you might have mixed something up...

The i5 doesn't have dedicated graphics.

16. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

Oops, meant to say i7! i7 with the 750 m ;) don't know why I put i5.