Which Mac to get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Psychonix, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Psychonix macrumors newbie

Okay so here's the thing: I recently bought a Lenovo Ideapad Y580 for games and I can't say I am terribly impressed. Build quality is nothing compared to a Macbook and the screen fails to impress. Contrast and color reproduction is quite frankly, terrible. Thinking of selling it for a Macbook but have no idea what to get.

Given my budget, here are my three options:

1) Buy a MBP 15 Retina (base model) now
    2) Wait for the MBP 13 Retina (base model) and get the 2012 iMac (base model).
    3) Pick up a MBA 2012* now and get the top-end 2012 iMac

*About the MBA, would the 2GHz Core i7 processor perform differently on the 11" and 13.3" models? Turbo-boost wouldn't clock The 11" as high as the 13.3" correct?

A little about me and my needs. I'd be working in the USA as a company representitive, which consists of a rigorous travel schedule within The States. Having a MBA would be more than enough for my needs I confess, though quite frankly, I am quite the mutlimedia buff. Having the luxory of sitting back and spoiling myself with a media centric (games, movies, music, etc..) Mac on my free time at home would be something I really prefer.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If by "gaming" you mean graphic intensive like Diablo 3, then get the RMBP. If you mean "Angry Birds" then get an Air. I would wait on the iMac for now. No evidence, but I have a hunch we'll see updated ones alongside the ML launch next month.

3. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Personally, I'd say get an air now and snag an iMac once they came out. I love my rMBP, but the air+iMac combo is really tough to beat for the best of both worlds. Especially now that the MBA has a bit better graphics.

4. Yuke macrumors member

I'd go with the 13" Air. You do a lot of travelling, and you've said yourself that it would fit all your needs. The rMBP, while thinner and lighter than the uMBP, is still noticeably heavier than the 13" Air. And, if a 13" Air would fit your needs, the rMBP is just overkill (and ~$1k more).

The GPU in the Air isn't great, but you can still do a bit of gaming on it, so long as you're willing to go with low-medium settings. Heck, I played a bit of Diablo III on my 2011 13" Air, and (single player, Normal, Act 1) it was fine. Throwing the more intense later difficulties/acts at it probably wouldn't be as enjoyable. The 2012 Airs have a better IGP, so they should be a bit more capable.

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Option 3 all the way. With that combo, you get the best of both worlds - Ultra potability and a nice powerhouse.

All upgraded. Enjoy.

6. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

Option 3 of course, as everyone else has said, best of both worlds!