Which Mac to replace my wife's old pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by africano, Dec 2, 2018.

1. africano macrumors member

So my wife has an old macbook pro which is currently running VERY slow. Takes ages to get started and to run programs.

Think it's time for a new one, but don't want to spend too much. She basically uses it for work so Keynote, Pages, and all the Google tools -docs, slides, etc.

Also some video editing but basically school stuff (we are teachers) so iMovie etc

So....Which Macbook should I get her?

2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

3. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Which MacBook Pro does she have?
    Which OS?
    SSD or HD?
    How much RAM?

I suspect she could function just fine for the described usage with a 6 year-old (or even older) MacBook Pro, as long as it had a reasonably fast SSD and 8 GB RAM. So, if she has a relatively recent MacBook Pro but with a hard drive and insufficient RAM, she may just need an SSD and RAM upgrade.

As for a new machine, it depends on if she values screen size or portability.

If wants ultimate portability, I'd recommend a 12" MacBook.
    If she wants a somewhat bigger screen, I'd recommend a 13" non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro.

4. Watchin Macs macrumors newbie

Get her the base model 2018 MacBook Air. Only $1200. Do not listen to the previous poster and purchase the non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro because the keyboard will give you guys a headache, especially with your busy teacher schedules.

I have the 2018 Air and cannot recommend it enough. Seriously its a great machine. High resolution display, never gets warm, 10 hr battery, Touch ID. Great!

5. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

The MacBook Pro comes with a 4 year warranty on the keyboard.

Anyhoo, I'm on my second year with my MacBook 2017 keyboard and it's fine. No issues at all. But then again, I don't eat over my MacBook keyboard.

6. Watchin Macs macrumors newbie

But using the warranty causes wasted time. I have read way to many threads on here of people stuck in constant repair cycles.

7. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

It should be noted that most people never need their keyboards replaced. More than average for sure with the 2017 but nonetheless it’s still a small minority.

8. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

I’d take the 2017 Pro. The T2 is too much of an unknown quantity for me at the moment. Enough that It would sway my decision over any future benefits of the T2.

9. Lioness~ macrumors 65816

I’m with you totally on all those preferences.
    Super satisfied with my new MBA 2018.
    If she writes a lot on it, it’s highly to prefer a MBA over MBP.
    I’ve had both MBA and MBP, the inclination of the MBA makes writing way more pleasant.

10. africano thread starter macrumors member

Great Thanks for all the replies!

Next question would be....what do we do with her old machine? It is a macbook pro bought in 2012.......We live in Thailand, we have several apple/mac resellers and they just opened an official Apple store. Do we just get rid of the old mac or can they change harddrive etc and give it a bit more life etc?

If we were to get rid of it, how do you get rid of a laptop?

Thanks!