Which Mac to work with LOGIC 8?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by angelvallejo, Feb 18, 2009.

1. angelvallejo macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm about to buy my first Mac. Some people at music/Apple stores told me I could not work properly LOGIC 8 with anything less than a MBPro with 4Gb RAM and a 7200 rpm HD

But the applestore web states I would only need 2Gb RAM and does not mention any special speed for HD.

Should I go for the MBP or can I work with a MB?

It´s frustrating to see that apple retailers do not agree about requirements...

thnks

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

You have to step back and look at the total SYSTEM. That would include the computer, disk drives and the audio interface(s) and the software. And then look at how you will use the system. Are you recording a full band or just one mic?

The answer to your question is "It depends" and that is why you are getting conflicting information.

First off look at the Audio interface. the best ones all use Firewire. Does the MB even have Firewire? OK if you are only using one mic and midi and you can live with outer limitations USB is OK. But plan ahead. Which interface will you be using.

Logic itself runs fine on any current Mac. But how many tracks will you be recording? Any mac can handle a few but for 48 tracks I think you be looking at a Mac Pro and a large LCD screen.

Then the screen matters too? Logic has LOT of controals and uses all the screen space you have. There are a billion little slders and knobs. Is the 13" MB screen big enough for you? I'd go nuts using such a small space but technically it "works".

For simple recordings the MB will do fine but I'd prefer a machine with a fast Firewire external disk drive and a firewire audio interface and a large monitor screen. But then others might prefer to be ultra portable.

The best advice is to think through the entire system from mics to monitor speakers to headphones. Yes headphones and speakers too (do you need a different mix in the headphone then in the monitor speakers? Does each need it's own volume controls?) and if you mics need phantom power or not and if you want direct input or if you will mic a guitar amp and how you will handle keyboards (midi, spdif, lineout?) then buy the Mac that makes it all come together.

3. angelvallejo thread starter macrumors newbie

Useful comments, Chris, thanks a lot¡¡

I'm not recording a full band at all. I'm just doing home recordings with me playing (well, let's say "traying to play"...) all the instruments.

One intrument/voice at a tie (but I would prefer having the opportunity to record two different sources).

I'm currently working with a extremely simple USB 2.0 audio interface focused in guitar recordings (LINE6 TONE PORT) who addictionally gives decent bass and vocal settings.

I have two decent monitors as well, and Senheiser headphones, but don't think I need a sepparate mix for monit/headphones.

I assume I shall to change to a more potent interface, but I find that, even with the MBPRO, only one FW port is available. The problem is that, if a need the FW port to connect the external HD (to storage loops, libraries etc) I would only be able to work with a USB interface...

Many thanks simply for taking the interest to read and answer. Thanks a lot.

4. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

FireWire interfaces have two FireWire ports on them to allow daisy chaining, meaning you can just plug your interface into the computer and your FireWire hard drive into the interface.

5. angelvallejo thread starter macrumors newbie

good results for daisy chaining?

Thank you, Pkoch ¡¡

I heard that daisy chaining using the interface might result in undesired noise.

You know whether it is something to be worried?

thanks again ¡¡

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

No, not noise. The signal send over FW is not analog audio but a digital signal.

What could happen if you use the same FW chain for both audio and the disk is that you run out of bandwidth. but if you work out the number you have to push pretty hard for that to happen, like for example having 16+ mics all recording at the same time.

when audio is sampled at 96K and 24 bits you get about 2.4 million bits per second. Firewire is rated at 400 million. So a channel of audio uses less than 1%.

7. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Just make sure the interface is first in the chain, plugged directly into the computer.

8. CalumC macrumors regular

To say you need a MBP is just trying to get you to spend more. I use logic studio and mainstage on a white macbook 2.1ghz with 3gb ram and its very happy. I'm not yet using an external hd, though i will get one soon, but i do use a second monitor and its very useful

9. angelvallejo thread starter macrumors newbie

MB with Logic + Mainstage

Thanks CalumC and thanks Chris A ¡¡

I'm happy to hear that.

10. mim macrumors 6502

Using Logic Pro on a new 2.4Ghz MacBook here. It's fine. The only trouble I've had is trying to do a remix on a track with a ton of audio stems - a HD speed issue I think. Even then, after a restart everything was ok. I can't remember if there's a 7200rpm HD option with the MacBook, but in retrospect I'd probably get that.

I also have a MacPro that I usually use, and while there's no doubt that it's much much more capable, but the MacBook is fine for most things.

I just picked up a NI Kontrol 1 USB audio interface to use with the MB - quality wise this thing puts a lot of firewire interfaces to shame. I don't think you'll have any issues using the MB if that's the way you want to go.

HOWEVER....you should have a hard think if you need the portability of the laptop. An iMac or a MacPro will give you that much more flexibility. My MacPro came from the Apple refurb store - it worked out 1/2 the price of the new machine, so bargains can be got this way.