Which Mac would suit me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by d88co88, Jul 14, 2010.

1. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

What I'm looking to do is some pretty graphic intense photo editing and video editing. I'm also looking to do website design/editing with dreamweaver. Maybe a little bit of gaming in the future. Which Mac would suit my needs? I truly have no clue how powerful or what machine to get. Thanks!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. d88co88 thread starter macrumors 6502

d88co88

Not necessarily, I'm just looking for the cheapest way to go that would do what I want by NOT building a hackintosh.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It sounds like an iMac would fit you best, then. However they are at the tail end of their cycle, so if you can wait a few weeks until the new ones come out, I'd get an iMac.

Although this will all depend upon your budget.

5. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

+1 agreed

6. chown33 macrumors 604

If you already have a monitor and keyboard, maybe a Mac mini. I'm guessing based on the machines listed in your sig.

7. Dyango macrumors member

If no portability is needed -> iMac/Mac Pro
    If your budget allows it, you could "start" with the top of the line iMac.
    MP is expected to update soon, so does the iMac, yet, I'd say this will come later so, knowing that, it's up to you waiting or not and buying one machine or another depending on what you can/want afford.

8. iWright macrumors member

Sounds like a top end iMac. Though I would definitely wait for the refresh

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Certainly the top end iMac (i7) for the large display and processing power. However the crystal ball consensus is that the top end will change little in the next iMac rev, with only a small processor speed bump possible although better graphics likely. Probably most improvement would be in Aperture.

10. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

Funny, I haven't seen the term crystal ball consensus before.

The new iMac will have the very latest and greatest technology, hand selected and crafted by the the folks at Apple who know and understand our needs better than we ourselves do.

Two of the following are true about the new IMac:
    - It will take longer than we want know or expect
    - it will use a GPU and CPU that are approximately 1.5 generations old
    - People will bitch

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Perhaps because I made it up. Nobody knows any more than a crystal ball, at least nobody that's talking! So any predictions about future products can't be any more than guesses based on available technology and Apple's past performance.

And yes, we can all agree that everyone will be disappointed!

12. MacSignal macrumors regular

i5 or i7 iMac seems like the best fit for your purposes, with the i5 being the better value. If you think you can get by with your Hackintosh until November, I like the idea of waiting for the next iMac refresh.

13. princecarspian macrumors newbie

I think you should purchase of an iMac or MacBook Pro. It need a Mac that has a FireWire port for your M-Audio 1814 interface that will be suit you .