which mac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by oililymad, Jun 17, 2012.

1. oililymad macrumors 6502

oililymad

Its time to replace my well loved iMac. ( 20inch 2008 2.66G Intel core duo, 4GBRAM)

These days i rarely, if ever use the display, as Ive since connected it to a decent 42" external monitor

I've thought about a Mac mini, a Macbook Pro, and a replacement iMac..

and now I'm totally confused as to which I should get.

The RAM restrictions of my current machine is the main reason for my change, I've noticed a definite difference since installing Lion, and the frequent Safari slow-downs and crashes are driving me mad. The lack of 'Airdrop' too.

The resolution is important too. For some inexplicable reason, my current settings stop me being able to 'mail a link to this page' from safari.

I love my iMac, and although its silly to say I get attached to my apple devices, I do!

any advice please? My current idea is to buy another small display iMac with the best processor I can.

2. Jay9495 macrumors regular

My advice is to upgrade the ram to make it bearable to use, then wait until the new iMac arrives, which will hopefully be soon :)

3. oililymad thread starter macrumors 6502

oililymad

The RAM is maxed out at 4

I don't have an issue waiting for a new iMac release if that's what the right mac is. Just not sure it is.

4. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

If you don't use the screen because of your external, then go for either a new mac mini or if you need portability go for a mbp.

6. oililymad thread starter macrumors 6502

oililymad

i don't need the portability or the screen, yet still reluctant to give up the beautiful thing sat on my desk. No logical sense in it, just emotion!

will an increase in iMac screen size give me any better resolution on my external monitor?

the options are currently limited, or Im being thick, which is a possibility!

7. Nandifix macrumors 6502

8. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

It sounds like you should check them all out and get some advice at an Apple Store or a good Apple reseller.

9. vladfein macrumors regular

Then get a mini and tape it to the back of that beauty.

no