Which Macbook Air for Xcode

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vigu360, Feb 16, 2012.

1. vigu360 macrumors member

vigu360

I have an ultimate latest iMac at home but I need something I can work on when I'm away from it. I'm not expecting a greater performance but I need something that works with Xcode without any trouble. I'm not sure if 2 GB RAM will slow Xcode any experiences? also should I wait for a month or so to see if they are going to release an Ivy Bridge version? Please let me know your comments. Thanks.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

The biggest issue for Xcode would be the size of all the SDKs you decide to download. There shouldn't be any performance issue at all. Most of your time is spent in the IDE editing code. Compiling is fast and simulation (of iOS) or running your app in OS X should run just fine on any 'air you choose. If you go with the 11 in 'air, at least upgrade the storage or carry around a usb disk for all those huge SDKs.

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Go for the 13" no question. 1366x768 screen resolution is nowhere near enough screen real estate for Xcode (its one of the main reasons I don't have an air, and went for a hires 15" pro, instead).

Go for 4gb as well, 2gb is not really enough for Lion, and MBA RAM is NOT UPGRADABLE. Don't worry about the SSD so much, that can be replaced.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree that the 11 in is too small, but an external display is an excellent way to provide room to run Xcode even if you had a hi-res 15 in MBP.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Working away from external display: any SSD 13" MBA.

Working only when using external display: any SSD MBA.

You might want 4GB and more SSD capacity.