which macbook are still worth buying

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by marshallbedsaul, Oct 8, 2010.

1. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Hello,
    I am trying to buy my gf a used macbook, but I am not sure what one I should stay away from. So could you help me and give me a run down of the macbooks worth buying still.

example
    speed
    HD
    core duo
    ram
    ect..
    Year made

or how ever you would like to place it.
    My budget is 650
    thank you for your help.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's pointless to answer your question without some idea of what you use computers for. Pretty much any computer made in the past 5 years can handle facebook and iTunes just fine, for example.

3. dischNoutTAspd macrumors regular

you could prob search on craigslist and get a used macbook pro or a macbook unibody around two years old for 600. if youre not doing anything heavy such as video editing etc a base macbook with at least 2GB of ram will do you fine. I bought a mid 2010 macbook (white) just for my basic needs as i dont do anything heavy and its night and day compared to a PC

4. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Fully loaded MBP 17... Lol. We need to know what your intentions are. Most people can get everything done on the current MacBook.

5. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Just a Late 09 MB or 08 MB unibody would be perfect,honestly,you can do anything a MBP can do on a MB,my MB surprises me everyday with what it can do,and it's still all stock.:)

6. illutionz macrumors 65816

I got an "Early 2009" White Macbook on eBay for around $630 shipped. My budget was originally around $500-$550 but there is no nVidia based Macbook that's on this price range just yet (after almost a week of following eBay auctions). I am specifically looking for the nVidia based Macbook for better performance in 3D applications as well as their support for faster PC2-6400 RAM that I have lying around my house.

I would say getting the (Early or Mid) 2009 White Macbook or older is a good idea for your gf as the price is within your budget. If you are looking for newer generation (Aluminum 2008 Macbook or Unibody White Macbook), it's probably a lot harder to squeeze in to your budget as I've seen that the price tend to be $700+ on eBay.

Just be aware of cracking on these non-unibody model but I believe you can go to Apple Store and get that repaired for free even though you are out of the 1 year warranty.

**Yes Apple's official position on Early 2009 Macbook is that it only supports the slower PC2-5300 but since it's based on the same nVidia ship as the Mid-2009 model, it supports the faster PC2-6400 RAM and yes you will gain performance boost.**

7. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Although you could buy through Ebay or Craigslist, I would really just buy from Apple's own refurb store...it's just more secure and safe, and you'll get, for all intents and purposes, a new computer.

8. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

I agree. I am not a fan of buying a used computer and trusting nothing but the sellers word. Think about the Carfax commercials. Dealing directly with Apple is, by far, the safest way to go. You will, however, need to spend a bit more money if you go with Apple.

9. illutionz macrumors 65816

Yeah... This is obviously the best solution. I purchased my iMac refurb from Apple and it was great!

Unfortunately, the OP only has $650 in budget and there is no way in hell he is getting an official Apple Refurb for around $650. I have similar budgets for my Macbook and I purchased one off eBay (Early 2009) for $620 shipped. Not too shabby and the condition is still very good