Which Macbook bundle to Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dingdongbubble, Aug 12, 2009.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Hello again everyone :D

So now the time has come for me to buy a Macbook and I have the choice between a few bundles so I was hoping you would tell me your opinion on which bundle would be best to buy.

The first is a Macbook with a free iPod Touch.
    The second is from Best Buy, a Macbook with an Airport Express and printer free.
    The third is also from Best Buy and it is a Macbook with iWork and printer free.
    The last one is from my campus tech store and it is a 13" Macbook Pro, with a 4GB RAM upgrade, MS Office 2008, AppleCare, and the iPod Touch.

The first three are the normal prices and the last bundle is for CAD1699. I dont think I will be using the MS Office because I dont use that kind of stuff much and when I do OpenOffice/NeoOffice works fine. The 4 GB RAM upgrade could also be cheaper if I got 3rd party RAM and I am in no hurry to upgrade to 4 GB right now.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'd be looking the mbp due to the a) mbp and b) applecare. Don't use the office 08, uninstall it from the computer and try to sell the disk on ebay or craigslist if you're wanting to offset the costs a bit.

That's my opinion. The real question is which of the current offerings offer the best value for you at the price.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So options 1, 2, and 3 are all white MacBooks?

I'd go for option 4 and go for the 13" MBP.

5. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

The first 3 can be any Mac lol.

The Airport Express would be a convenience, not sure how much though. The printer would be awesome in fact if I dont get one from this I would probably buy one. Like MS Office I am unsure about how useful iWork would be practically. The iPod Touch either goes to my sisters or I use it as a mobile device for myself to avoid buying a new cell phone immediately (like to extend the life of my phone). I would be using the phone for anything requiring a cellular network (SMS, calling etc) and for the rest (movies, audio, useful apps, email etc) I would use the iPod.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I'd go with door #4. That's a great price for the addition of AppleCare and Office.

The free printer you'll get from Apple with that other deal will be crap, unless you kick in the $100+ to get one of the higher-end models.

7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

well it depends on what your needs are. Which bundle is the most valuable to you, and none of us can answer that. Do you need a printer, do you need an iPod, a router, or would you just rather have an extended warranty. You are the one who needs to decide which has the most value to YOU, not us. People on here have completely different needs than you do, and therefore would likely utilize different bundles.

8. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Option 4. You should be able to print for free (or cheap) on campus.

9. m0no macrumors regular

Not sure what campus you've been on :)

10. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

You got that right!

How much are copies these days, 10 cents apiece after the initial allotment?

11. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

Well, there's also convenience when working on that paper at 2 am. The 24-hour computer lab might be a 10-15 minute walk on a residential college campus.

If you already have wireless internet access in your dorm(?) then you wouldn't need the Airport Express. If you don't, then it is another convenience feature. It's nice to use the laptop on your bed instead of your desk. So I guess I think Option 2 might be best, although I would go for the Aluminum MBP instead of the white one to slightly decrease weight.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Option four. Printers are cheap and you can the exact one you want.

13. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

OCTO CORE MAC PRO NOW!