Which Macbook do I need?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robnet77, Oct 29, 2013.

1. robnet77 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone :)

I would like to buy a Macbook soon, to replace my 2008 Windows based 17" Dell laptop.

This will be for me a transition to the Mac world, so I'll be using both Windows and OS X (possibly via Parallels).

I need to stream videos, multitask light apps, do a bit of graphic design, I'm not a professional so I'll just need an honest machine for the lowest possible price.

How much space do I need to run Windows + OS X and install some software? is 128 GB enough? I hardly play any videogames, I guess this should help...

As for the RAM, will 4GB be enough for the next 3-4 years?

Finally, I'd like to buy the Pro rather than the Air due to the Retina display (image quality is a primary concern for me), unless you guys tell me the Air has a similar image quality.

6-7 hours of battery are more than enough for me, portability is not a major issue, although I'll be moving my laptop from a room to another.

Or should I go for the 8GB RAM -256 SSD version instead?

Thanks in advance!

2. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

If you are going to install Windows software and run it via Parallels, you will probably be much happier with 8GB. The RAM is not upgradable, you can't ever upgrade beyond what you start with.So if 4GB turns out to not be enough, you'll have to replace the whole computer.

The question about 128 GB of SSD storage is tougher. It all depends on how much music and photos you decide to store on the computer. Keep in mind that the 256 GB SSD is also benchmarking much faster than the 128 GB version. While it should be possible to upgrade the SSD in the future, it all depends on when the hardware becomes available for sale.

In short, Spend the $200 to upgrade to the 13"/2.4/8/256 model, you'll be happier in the long run.

3. robnet77 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

... however, would you go for the Macbook Air instead? my budget is quite low at the moment and I'm not sure what I'd give up if I went for it rather than the Pro... just the display?

4. robnet77 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, let me check that long thread about air vs pro first! :rolleyes:

5. rMBP2013 macrumors member

Figure out how to come up with the extra money 'cuz you will love the retina display!

I'd definitely go with 8GB 'cuz you won't be able to upgrade it.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

If you're going to run Windows via a virtual machine you will need at least 8gb. A 128gb drive will also be tight with two OSes installed.

7. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

If you have a tighter budget then might be looking at wrong manufacturer. All of the prices are in upper premium range. Saying that, a base retina mac is not much more than base air.

8. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you want to keep it for the next 3-4 year: Yes.

You may also want to start looking around for Mac software, most of the time you'll find something that is as good or a lot better as the Windows software you're currently using.

9. robnet77 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm definitely looking at the right manufacturer!!
    I just won't squander on features I don't need...
    but then again it seems I should go for the 8/256 version of either the Air or the Pro...

...the thing is that I saw the Air live and the display looks less sharp than my 2008 Dell Vostro 1710 with full HD...