Which Macbook for college[Air, Pro, or Retina Pro]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lilcorey10, Jun 12, 2012.

1. lilcorey10 macrumors member

I will start college this fall and go for a CS degree. I have been waiting quite a while for the macbook refresh... and now it's finally here. I have a $2000 budget but would prefer not to spend it all. Below are the configurations I have built on the apple store.

Macbook Air "13
    • 256GB Flash
    • 8GB RAM
    • 1440 x 900 Resolution
    • ~$1500
    Air: lightweight, thin, higher resolution

Macbook Pro "13
    • 500GB HDD
    • 256GB SSD (I would buy and install on my own)
    • 8GB RAM(also buy and install myself)
    • 1280 x 800 Resolution
    • ~$1500
    Pro: heavier than air and retina, thicker than air and retina, lowest resolution
    NOTE: The reason I waited for the refresh was because the Pro "13 has a 1280 x 800 resolution(low, low, low)

Retina Pro "15
    • CRAZY RESOLUTION
    • 256GB SSD
    • 8GB RAM
    • ~$2000
    Retina: lighter than Pro but heavier than Air, about as thin as the Air, Flagship product, best resolution

With the upgrades to the Pro and Air I can get similar specs as far as Storage and RAM go. So now the difference among the three computers is basically just the screen and structure(size and weight). Should I get the Retina Pro? Is the screen worth the $500 increase?

2. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Go for the pro 13' then buy an external monitor of you need more resolution.

3. lilcorey10 thread starter macrumors member

Oh sorry I should have mentioned... I am getting an external monitor, external hard drives, keyboard and mouse for desk use in the dorm regardless of which Mac I choose.

4. Fynd macrumors 6502

Don't bother with the 13 pro.

500$ is actually getting you a larger screen, much sharper and much more real estate, in addition to a quad core cpu(8 threads), a nice dedicated gpu capable of solid gaming if you choose, and longer battery life.

If you have the 500, do it.

5. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

Downside, 256 internal with out a current upgrade option.

6. Mizzou02RS macrumors member

If you're getting an external, go for the Pro, then.

7. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

8. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    The kid is going to college, $500 could pay for like 3 textbooks! :eek:

9. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

Or like 1/4 a meal plan!! (but who needs to eat?)

10. luked14 macrumors 6502

I'd say the retina screen is worth the extra $500, but if you'll always be using an external display, then maybe not. The Air is probably the best all-around value though.

11. lilcorey10 thread starter macrumors member

I never thought about the Air until yesterday, but with the newly available upgrades it makes it a contender. Lightweight, thin, higher res than Pro, and same basic configuration as the Retina Pro minus the Nvidia 650M and super duper screen

12. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

And CPU

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think the Air is the best value. If you are going to have an external drive anyway, get the $1199 model and bump the ram to 8GB. That's $1299, or $1239 with student discount.

14. luked14 macrumors 6502

If discrete graphics aren't important to you (which they possibly could be for a CS major) then the Air is everything you need and then some.

15. xalexx macrumors member

I just bought the entry RMBP yesterday in preparation for college in the fall. I'm intent on being happy with it. It's got great internals that I don't see myself ever needing to upgrade. 8GB ram will be sufficient for years. The processor is fantastic, and I have NO problem opting for an external hard drive if I ever need one. I've had my current laptop for 4 years and I've only used 150 GB of space, even being a HUGE music hog and occasional video/photo editor and gamer.
    On top of the good internals, it has retina. That's just fun. AND it's super thin. Sexy.
    To me, this is the perfect college macbook.