Which macbook for Logic studio or logic express?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by janguzej, Feb 22, 2010.

1. janguzej macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I want to start create music and I will need advice which macbook will be best for me. I like macbook and macbook pro 13'. I Dont want 15 or 17' because of size. I will have it connected to my lcd tv so I dont need big screen on macbook. I need to know how big Ram, Cpu and Hdd will I need for creating music smoothly.
    Except from creating music I will be using macbook for internet, email, watch dvd, edit small video from my camera and travel. I'm not playing games.
    I have been using Acer laptop with Win Xp and it's time for change.

Thanks for reading and for your advice :)

2. andershoeg macrumors newbie

Any of the two will run Logic (both versions) just fine.

3. janguzej thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers, but what Ram and Hdd should I get with it?

4. andershoeg macrumors newbie

As much RAM as possible. 4 gb is great. The fastest hdd you can afford. Pretty general answers to your questions, I know. But if you can be a little more specific about your needs in music production it would give me an idea of what is needed.
    b.r. andershoeg

5. janguzej thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I want to create trance music from begining. Also editing existing songs and if I'm sucessful i will like to mix music from my laptop in nightclub. So I will store lots of music in Hdd. Lets say something for starting Dj. Thats's why I want 13' to be very potable carrying around.
    And also I'm limited in budget so I cant afford to pay high end 17' macbook.

6. andershoeg macrumors newbie

Well, not into trance scene. So don't know much about that. But i guess you will need to use a lot of samples. That requires a fast hdd. 4 gb of ram will be preferable.

7. db0967 macrumors newbie

I use a 13" Macbook for Logic Express. It works well, but I'd like more screen space as it can feel a bit cramped.

8. janguzej thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, for trance music I will use loads of samples. Now I'm waiting for release of new macbooks so I could get hopefuly more Ram and Hdd for good price

9. janguzej thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not worried about small screen. When I'm creating music, i will connect macbook to my 37' tv. So I should be ok with that. I like 13' cos its ideal size for traveling.

10. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

buy your RAM from 3rd party. You can get 4GB chips for <$200 apiece. If you must, buy 1 now and get a second later when the price drops.

Some will recommend a 7200 RPM hard drive. IMO, any high density drive—like a 640 GB—will be fast enough even at 5400 RPM.

Going full-throttle you could use a Indilinx-based SSD like the OCZ Vertex for your system drive and replace the optical drive with a HDD for storing your samples and such. That would be really fast.

But your priorities are lots of RAM and a large HD... and learning how to use Logic. :) Try this book:

amazon link

11. janguzej thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking of buying high end macbook pro 13'. It's got 4GB RAM, 2,53GHz CPU and 250GB HDD. Max upgrade on this macbook is 8GB RAM and 500GB 5400rpm HDD. There is no option for bigger or faster HDD.
    Now if I want to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB RAM, it will cost me extra $600.00
    Upgrade to 500GB HDD will be extra $150.00.
    So I'm fain with upgrade of HDD but RAM is quite expensive. So I my get your advice and look for cheaper option of RAM from 3rd party.

But I may as well wait for new upgrade on macbooks and then it may be for same price bigger RAM and HDD. I don't know. It's just my wish :)

And thanks for that link to amazon store. I will need that book and also I'm planning to buy package One to One which should give some time with apple expert.

12. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

yeah, Apple's prices for upgrades are pretty steep. But from NewEgg, you could get 2 sticks of 4 GB DDR3 RAM for just $320 after rebate:

ram

Likewise, a 640 GB HDD is just $90:

hard drive

If you can follow directions and search forums, you can successfully transfer your data and install both the hard drive and the RAM.

If the processor speed is unimportant to you (really, it's only a marginal difference) get the base MBP or even the MB and do the upgrades yourself.

Of course, I agree that it is a good idea to wait for the refresh. IMO, there won't be updates to the MacBook, but there will be for the MBP, and yes, you will get more HD for your money (4 GB RAM will likely still be standard, however). The real reason to wait is for the i5 or i7 processor. That's a good reason to wait.

Also, get Logic Express. You can always upgrade to the full version, but you may find you don't need to.

13. janguzej thread starter macrumors newbie

2 months later and we got new Macbook Pros here :)

Now I will need a help to decide which macbook pro to buy for using Logic studio.

Will it be 4Gb Ram enough or I need 8Gb?

I'm going to buy one of the 13" macbook Pros.
    4Gb or 8Gb Ram, 500Gb Hdd. But cant decide if it is worth to pay extra £210 for upgrade from 2,4Ghz to 2,66Ghz. Will I feel big difference in speed with faster procesor? Will I regret after some time if I get 2,4Ghz instead 2,66Ghz?

Thank you guys :)