Which MacBook for long-term use?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drjeffsykes, Apr 23, 2015.

1. drjeffsykes macrumors newbie

For our last two home Macs, we have bought iMacs and used them for 6-7 years before replacement. We're nearing the time to replace our current iMac and are planning to replace it with a MacBook.

Is it safe to assume that we'll need to get a rMBP instead of an Air or a rMB in order to get anywhere near 6-7 years of useful life?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What is your usage, its hard to make a recommendation without know what the computer will be used for :)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That completely depends on what your computing needs and uses are, and how well you take care of your computer. Any Mac model can easily last 7 years or more if cared for properly. Whether or not a particular model is right for you depends on how you plan to use it.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

:apple: computers usually have good build quality and can easily last 7 years and longer.
    Of course they can also break. ... :confused:

5. drjeffsykes thread starter macrumors newbie

We'd mostly be using the computer for browsing, mail, finances, word processing, spreadsheets, and photos. Maybe a little bit of video editing here and there. Nothing intensive.

If I was basing it solely on our intended use, I think an Air would suffice. I am just concerned that the hardware on the Air wouldn't hold up as long as on the rMBP.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no reason that an Air wouldn't last as long as the rMBP, if cared for properly.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Based on your usage, the Air will work, but I think the rMBP is a better computer because of the superior screen.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Listen to GGJ and Maflynn!

Maybe also consider an iPad.

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmm...

It's unlikely a laptop will last as long as a desktop, simply because it's exposed to way more risk.

Why the switch?

10. McScooby macrumors 6502

mince! tell that to my 2006 white macbook, it's indestructible, only thing that makes it broken is apple refusing to allow it to be updated / security updates!

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, I'd say many Apple laptops don't succumb to an early death. I have a 2010 MBP going strong, and I see older laptops for sale on eBay.

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...keep the iMac going and add an SSD to it...maybe get a MBA for a portable companion to the iMac?