Which MacBook for my first mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zoncky, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Zoncky, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015

Zoncky macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've been thinking long and hard about making the Switch to Mac and I think I'm just about decided. I'm looking to get a MacBook of some variant as a replacement for my PC. I've got a gaming set up at the moment which I NEVER use and it's hard to justify having. So my question would be;

I want a MacBook to reclaim the space that my huge PC currently takes up, I never play games and it's hard justifying such a wanton use of space but I may occasionally want to play online multiplayer games from a few years ago with my friends (Age of Empires 2, Rise of Nations, etc). Would the 12" MacBook be sufficient or would I need a Macbook Pro? Also, is it worth buying now or would you advise waiting to see if there's an update to them in early 2016?

Thanks!!

p.s. This is my first post, sorry if there are any formatting/etiquette errors

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

12" MacBook should suffice, though if ultra-portability isn't high on your list I'd recommend the 13" Retina MacBook Pro, as you get a lot more bang-for-buck compared to the MacBook with regards to hardware specs, ports, and battery life. And it's still really portable/light, just not featherweight like the MacBook.

3. Zoncky thread starter macrumors newbie

These are basically the two I've narrowed it down to. MacBook or Retina MacBook Pro 13" with 256GB. The problem I have is as you said "you get a lot more bang-for-buck compared to the MacBook" with the Macbook Pro, the Macbook is beautiful.

4. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

I agree with the post above. We have two 12" MacBooks in the family, and we love them. But I wouldn't get one as a primary or only computer. They're great as ultra-mobile 2nd systems. For a first computer, I'd also suggest the MacBook Pro 13. It's a great mix of portability, price, and power.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yep, it's a head-over-heart argument, it's a toughy. One of the problems you'll encounter with Apple products - you'll always finding yourself pining after something you don't necessarily need. Personally I think the rMBP is prettier, but I'm a sucker for aluminium and a glowing Apple logo on the back :p

6. Zoncky thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I think the consensus is the rMBP. Can I ask your opinions on walking to the Apple Store and buying one now or waiting till the next revision presumably Feb/March '16?

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If you can hold off I definitely would. Although the refresh isn't likely to bring massive performance jumps, it's worth waiting anyway and then make the plunge when the new model is released. :)

Welcome to MR & the Mac family by the way!

8. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Bump will be bigger on the rMBP 15" than the 13". The 13 will probably get a one get CPU bump, but the 15 will get two gens. I don't think it'll be an earthshaking improvement on the 13 as it's already fairly current. And there will always be a better model coming out in the future.

There are some great open-box deals on the 13" rMBP both on the Apple site and from online vendors.

9. Zoncky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! It was a long decision but I think the right one. 'If' being the operative word. I'm not sure I can. I'll update you on how I get along. Haha.

10. Zoncky thread starter macrumors newbie

Open box deals?

11. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

12. Zoncky thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, yes I had seen them. I think, if I'm going to be spending that much money, I'd rather buy my own, brand new. Perhaps an uneconomical view but one I can imagine many people share. Besides, I'm in the fortunate position where the company I work for gets a special partner pricing and I get 6% off new price as it is.

13. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Get the Macbook Pro especially for longevity. The 12 inch Macbook Retina is a nice machine, but its somewhat underpowered, especially in say 3 years time, I'd definitely prefer to be on a retina pro.

14. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

This 100%

I got the RMB as i wanted portability, in retrospect i've actually taken it a lot less places than i thought i would this year so i should have got the RMBP.

The RMP is very speedy, doesn't hang etc but then i don't game on it.

Once my lightroom library starts to spin a lot i won't bother with using a laptop at all and i'll get a 1tb SSD imac.

It all depends what you want it for.

15. zephonic macrumors 65816

zephonic

If you don't absolutely need a retina display, I'd say the 13" MacBook Air remains the king of all laptops.

I love my 2013 MBA and think it is the best computer ever designed.

I hate the keyboard on the new MacBook, it is a dealbreaker.

16. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel