Which Macbook for Photography?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stonegammage, Mar 13, 2011.

1. stonegammage macrumors member

Okay, so I am about to go into high school and have gotten into photography a lot.
    Here is my current equipment: 20" 2.66GHz iMac, 32GB iPad WiFi, and iPhone 4. I want to get another Mac (laptop) because it will come in handy for photography. I need a little bit more power for photography then what the iPad offers. I love the iPad, don't get me wrong. It's super for running around with for email, internet, and even minor photo editing. What I really love is it's ability to display photos.

We are starting to go on more trips (a few every few months) and I want to transfer my images from the camera to Macbook and then sync with the iPad for displaying. But my question is....what Macbook do I want for this? I want to be able to run some photo editing software. It is going to be my newest edition to my photographic world, and I would rather have a MB than an iPad 2.

BTW: the iMac serves as my absolute total beautiful powerhouse and I love it.

Thanks in advance for your support

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You could really get any of them that you want, as all would be sufficient. I would simply make the recommendation of 4GB RAM minimum (aftermarket if you went with the white model). I think I would suggest the base 13" MBP, or if you're interested in the Air, the base 13" with 4GB RAM, as that can't be upgraded aftermarket.

3. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Any MacBook will do what you want, however the 11 and 13 inch screens maybe be too small for your work. That said my 4 year old MacBook (13" - 1280x800) is fine for the times I've needed it.

4. stonegammage thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Yeah, I think I am going to go with MBA. Thanks and have a marvelous day!

5. JAT macrumors 603

Wouldn't storage space be the key issue, rather than processing power?

6. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I agree, as long as you're talking about getting a new MacBook, and, for editing, at least 4GB RAM (otherworld computing makes quality apple spec or better RAM). I use a 13" MacBook pro made 11mos. ago and it does well.

However, the screen on the base MacBook pro (at least last year's model, like mine) does not have the best color. I know there are different screens available, and not sure about the airs. If you want to edit your photos this may be a factor for you. I hook mine up to a second monitor that I trust for the color.

Also of note, I do nature photography and recently acquired an iPad. I am in the process of making some wallpaper to put up on my website and, in trying these out on the iPad, I am finding the yellows and greens seem to be dull. I am making adjustments for the iPad versions of these photos.

7. toxic macrumors 68000

doesn't sound like you do much, so anything will do.

8. legreve, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011

legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Hello colleague... I would hands down choose the 15" above ANYTHING else. The smaller ones are a joke to work with, screen is simply too small. The 17" is too cumbersome. Also do yourself the favor of getting antiglare so you can actually see correct coloring and be able to calibrate it.

If you're going to edit on it I would stick 8 gb of ram in it.

My own upgrade is on the way in the shape of:
    15"
    2.2 ghz
    8gb RAM ( will upgrade to 16gb later this year )
    256 gb ssd
    750 gb 7200 hd
    Anti-glare

Will be a nice workstation for years :)

9. stonegammage, Mar 15, 2011

stonegammage thread starter macrumors member

Guys, I think I wanted to go with a standard 13" Macbook Pro except with a SSD? Agree?

Guys, I want to go with the new 13" MBP with SSD as the only upgrade....agree?

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Not this myth again :rolleyes:

OP I use glossy screens and they match my prints far better then matte did. I believed the matte myth for years until I actually experimented myself. Now I use glossy.

That being said if color accuracy is important use an external monitor, not a laptop screen.

11. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

This is where I tell you your eyes aren't good enough to judge prints against screens... I call total bs on your post. Or maybe you don't go too much into color correction etc.

However I will concur that one should definitely use an external screen for the best result, which is why I have an Eizo at home for proper correction.
    In the meantime, there's absolutely no reason to make one's work harder to do by choosing a screen that is too rich in color, too contrasty and has a high amount of reflection.

OP, you'll be hating glossy from the very first time you bring it out somewhere to work on, trying to sit in a position where it doesn't reflect something in the surroundings, making it impossible to see what you're doing.
    Or... if you do choose glossy, get used to calibrating the screen in complete darkness for an accurate result. That I cannot be bothered to do.

12. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

All Apple laptops have crappy TN panels. Just buy the cheapest MacBook -- the white plastic one -- and use the money you saved to buy an external display with an IPS panel. HP makes a relatively inexpensive 22" and a 24" sRGB IPS display which are the ZR22w and the ZR24w.

13. stonegammage thread starter macrumors member

I personally wouldn't buy anything from HP except maybe a printer. I agree with the glossy screens. You know, as long as you don't have a huge amount of light reflecting, you're cool.

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Completely incorrect. I've been doing this a long long time, since digital first became popular (and before with film).

Antiglare disperses light that passes through it. Glossy doesn't. I believed the antiglare myth for years until I tried it myself. My prints match much better with a glossy monitor than an antiglare any day.

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

If you're doing photography, that implies you need storage. Then why on earth would you want an SSD?

You're 14 years old, possibly 15. Get yourself a MacBook. Skip the Pro. It will be perfectly fine for anything and everything you need for intro level photography AND school work.

16. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

We just dealt with this here in my house.

If you'll be doing any photo processing such as Photoshop, even "maybe" or "perhaps someday," go for the max right now. 15" for portability, 8GB, high-res screen option. The 2.2GHz i7 is the way to go. The only arguable point is whether to go for the big-capacity hard disk or the somewhat lower-capacity but 7200 rpm fast hard disk. Personally, I'd go for the latter.

Enjoy!

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You're probably best off with the 15 mbp. Best of processing power, screen size, and just about anything else.

18. stonegammage thread starter macrumors member

My mind boggling again

I do not want a 15" MBP because I already have a 20" iMac 2.66 if I need a big screen to really get the work flow going- 13" is fine for me.

Glossy is okay.

What about the i7 MacBook Pro 13" with the HDD 500gb? It looks really sweet, and I get an education discount.....

19. pnyx macrumors newbie

Could work, from what I've checked after thinking about an air, color is really one huge difference between both, disappointingly so. The monitor on the air is still good, for a laptop, but the color gamut on the pro is much better than a typical laptop...

20. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

We went with the 13 inch MBA; it's got great resolution, will run CS5 well and has the SD slot for storing photos. It works great. We just got a 64GB IPad (delivered on Tuesday) and are going to experiment with it to see if it'll work for quick display and culling of photos in the field. It's set up and waiting for the camera kit to arrive, tracking says it should be here Monday. I think it'll work for quick shoots where we're not out for more than a few days, but for the extended shoots on location I think we'll still have to use the Air. I wish the resolution on the 11 inch were better and it had the SD card slot, anything that can reduce the amount of stuff we haul around is a plus.

21. stonegammage, Mar 18, 2011

stonegammage thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like you are well on your way to the perfect combination. I am going to go with the 13" MBP because I already have a 20" iMac. See, the iPad is wonderful for importing pictures on day trips, and even better for showing your photos and displaying them! All in all, the iPad is a great run around tool to get your basic needs accomplished and accomadated. It's great for photographers who want to display photos in high-res.
    On photography trips, you need something to quickly upload pictures and edit. That's why i am going to go with 13" MBP....lots of processing power, best display. And if I really need to get moving on a high display, I've got my iMac. And if I REALLY want to get going beyond that, I've got a 32" Samsung Flat Panel HD.

You are on the right decision. MBA would be great for you for traveling, but if I were you I would also have an iMac or something with some more power. :) good luck! (The reason I am doing a MBP is because I found that I needed 13", and the baseline MBP is cheaper than the 13" MBA, and I am on a budget, and can get more computer for that)

cheers

Okay, should i go with the 2.3 i5 or the 2.7 i7? Macbook pro 13".....

Okay, let's be blunt. I cannot see any photographer working with an 11" screen....well I can, but I know I couldn't.

I have decided on a 13" MacBook Pro. My reason, you ask? I get more computer for less money than I would pay for a MacBook Air.

I've got an iMac and iPad. Normally, that would be a great combo. BUT, on photography trips....I just have to have a laptop to transfer photos and do some editing....and I plan to use my MacBook Pro as a "real computer at home" too...but when I want to spread out, I've got my 20" iMac. My iPad is great for all day running and displaying pictures.

WHICH MacBook Pro 13" The 2.3 i5 or 2.7 i7? I do photography editing (soon to be on Aperture) and basic iMovies sometimes.

Thanks for the advice ahead of time!

~Stone

22. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

IPad.... photo editing.... what is this I don't even.

No seriously, never mention that again :)

It sounds like a hobby to you, so I'd say anything that runs cs5 would be fine. Normally I would suggest at least.15" so you can actually see what you're doing but a 13" should probably do fine.

Best of luck with it.

www.legreve.com

23. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd just go with the i5. Photo editing isn't all that CPU intensive, so you wouldn't really see a difference.

24. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

Photo editing is VERY cpu intensive ... try some surface blur on photoshop and you'll see.