Which MacBook for Video Editing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Macdude2010, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Ok, so this year, one of my classes probably has to do with video editing, at the least photo editing. I will probably end up working on the project throughout the year. Now, I have two options here, I already own both computers so price is not a factor in this. I will probably be using a combo of Motion 5 and Final Cut X. Besides the video editing, I will be doing all my other school assignments on this computer too.

The Specs of the computers are:

Retina MacBook Pro
    2.8GHz Quad i7 with 8MB of L3
    16GB RAM
    768GB SSD
    nVidia GeForce GT 650M

or

11 inch MacBook Air 2013
    1.3GHz Duel i5
    4GB RAM
    128GB SSD
    Intel HD 5000

Now, the advantages of the Air is it is smaller and lighter, so it is easier to carry around and gives me more room on my desk to work with other things (sometimes was a problem using the Retina MacBook Pro), as well as the insane battery, but that really is it.
    The disadvantages are the smaller screen size, it doesnt have as much power as the retina does, No SD card slot and also screen quality is not as good.

The advantages of the Retina Pro mostly has to do with the power under the hood, this thing is amazing at home when doing video projects. The other advantage is all the extra screen real-estate I get through scaling, as well as the screen quality. Also the SD card reader for importing.
    The disadvantages are the size of it, the 15 inch is kinda big, so it is the main thing that is on my desk and i have to arrange everything around it, as well as it being heavier then the Air.
    So, which one is the better choice to use in all classes.

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

I'm not sure that I understand the point of the query.

You have 2 computers. One is going to be equal or better at every task you throw at it. The other is going to have better battery life and be more pleasant to carry around.

3. Ifti macrumors 68000

No contest for me.
    Im very similar, although I will have both systems.
    I have a new MBA (spec in sig) which I use as my portable machine. However, I wouldnt use it for video editing, even though I have the higher spec version. I also do not wish to use it with an external display.

I will be buying a max spec retina when the Haswell update comes along, and will use that for my editing. I used to edit on my 2012 MacBook Pro 13" first, which I found OK, but will be moving to a 15" instead. You'll find editing much more pleasant, not only due to the higher specs, but also the increased screen space. When video editing, forget about battery life and portability - you want a higher spec machine with more screen space, even if it needs to be plugged into the mains more often.

4. theRevIsNotDead macrumors member

theRevIsNotDead

Absolutely, 110%, no question, get the MBP.

The specs and video card are really what's going to make a difference for you. Just wait until they update the models this fall.

The Air is great, but it's not nearly as powerful as the Pro. And the battery life will diminish quickly when you're doing editing and running programs, so it's not going to be a huge plus. If you're concerned about space, get a stand for the laptop and an extra keyboard and prop it up. You can stand them almost completely vertical.

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

He already owns both computers, so like I said.. I don't understand the purpose of the thread.