Which MacBook? HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by toysoldierkid, May 24, 2015.

1. toysoldierkid macrumors member

Hey,

I'm a 100% confident that I will get the new 12 inch MacBook. I am just unsure about the configuration. I don't need more than 256 GB hard drive space but I am just wondering, if upgrading to the 1,2 or even 1,3 makes sense.

I use my computer for:

Web browsing
    Netflix
    Music streaming (hopefully soon over Apple-Beats streaming service)
    Looking at stuff on Dropbox
    Making a lot of documents in Pages
    Sometimes presentations in Keynote
    Mail
    Sometimes a bit of photo editing

Can anyone who has it actually tell me about it? Maybe someone had a 1,1 and switched to a 1,2 and can talk about differences!

Thanks a lot guys

2. keviig macrumors 6502

The 1.1 will do just fine for your needs.
    I have it myself and i'm very pleased.
    Also, if you want the 1.2 you will have to get the 512gb SSD along with it.

3. toysoldierkid thread starter macrumors member

What are you doing with your MacBook?

4. thitiv macrumors member

I have had the base 1.1 / 256 model for 2-3 weeks now. Working great. My uses are quite similar to yours.

5. toysoldierkid thread starter macrumors member

I'm using a 2012 MacBook Air 2012 (only 4GB of Ram) at work and private. But I want to use the new MacBook mainly for my private stuff which is what I've mentioned.

I am just afraid it's slow when it's about managing some photos in Lightroom.

6. thitiv macrumors member

It's my only computer. For work I do PowerPoints, Words and Excels. I use Windows 8.1 in Parallels Desktop in parallel all the time. At home I do accounting in Windows Parallels Desktop, web browsing and Facebook in Safari and some 1080p MKV movies in Mac Bluray Player. All are great!

7. toysoldierkid thread starter macrumors member

I'm surprised. Awesome! I'll use it as my only private one as well!

8. thitiv macrumors member

Managing photos should be fine. Editing maybe slower for CPU intensive tasks but not that bad. Wait for the next service release of OS X. It works with Core M CPU better.

----------

With the similar budget in mind, if you wish your old 11" Air could have a retina screen upgrade, then this is the only choice. If you don't mind the extra weight and bulk of a 13" rMBP then you may consider the 13" rMBP as well coz the prices of the two are quite close.

9. toysoldierkid thread starter macrumors member

Definitely needs to be the new MacBook and not the pro. Love the form factor and I'm traveling quite a lot :)

10. toysoldierkid thread starter macrumors member

11. freitz macrumors member

I have not tried it but have asked around and searched the forums.

Looks like it will run fine. I run lightroom on my 2011 MBA and it is usable to process an image or two when traveling. I was considering a move to the new rMB for lightroom and photoshop while on the road. I don't need a powerhouse I have a monster of a PC at home but I do need portability.