Which MacBook is best for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gettingMyMacOn, Mar 8, 2014.

1. gettingMyMacOn macrumors newbie

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a MacBook tomorrow, and not sure which one to go for.

The ones in my budget are:

MacBook Air 13"
    MacBook Pro 13"
    MacBook Pro 13" Retina

I'm new to Macs (having always had Window laptops) so not sure where to start.

I like the thinnest and lightness of the Air, but for £50 more I can get a non-retina Pro. Does the Retina make much difference?

I run a business off the laptop, but literally internet, spreadsheets, word etc, no major graphic-hungry applications.

Thanks in advanced! :D

2. TjeuV macrumors 6502

The sharpness of the retina screen blew my mind ... try the macbook air and retina out in the store and decide then. Just don't go for the non retina macbook pro. A laptop without SSD or High-res screen is just ... old.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say the retina screen gorgeous and is well worth the expense. If you are debating between the cMBP and the MBA then I'd choose the MBA but the retina is worth the expense imo

5. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I wouldn't even consider the non-retina Pro. You're getting the previous generation IvyBridge processor, with it's shorter battery life, and those 4000 graphics, and of course no TB. It's a laptop that's on the way out.

I would suggest your choice should be between the MBA and the rMBP, and I would also urge you to take a good long hard look at the 13" MBA with 256GB flash; it may be all you really need, and gives you 30% better battery life, and double the PCIe-based flash storage for the same $$ as the entry level 13" rMBP.

The rMBP on the other hand has the faster processor, and definitely has a nicer screen, and not only sharper, but also more vibrant.

Without knowing how intensive your business and spreadsheet use is going to be, I'd say, test drive them both at the Apple store; you can't go wrong with either of those two units, and you always have that two week return privilege, if you realize you've made the wrong choice.

6. gochi macrumors 6502

7. WiliamJacoby macrumors newbie

Yes Retina display make big difference. Yours eye not able to differentiate individual pixels from a typical watching distance.
    In 13.3-inch models you have 2560-by-1600 native resolution it means 227 pixels per inch. I use this newest version MacBook with retina: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...veASIN=B0096VBXQE&linkCode=as2&tag=comp-it-20
    I do not work with graphic, but my work with text or Internet is much comfortable for my eyes.

8. Baylor2014 macrumors newbie

I have the rMBP 13" with 8gb RAM and 256 SSD. I am a college student and this thing is incredible!! Super fast and the display is pretty awesome:cool:

Mine has yet to even stutter on anything! Also very light and thin so it definitely beats the Air in my opinion!

9. EchoAdmin macrumors newbie

EchoAdmin

I just faced this decision and went with the MPA because I don't need that much processing power anymore. I've used a MBP for years and wanted something more portable. I already have an ipad but just doesn't do everything i need. Hope this helps.

10. gettingMyMacOn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone - went for the MacBook Air but upgraded to 8gb ram, so hopefully this will be the right choice!