Which MacBook is best for my uses

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TXSpartan, Feb 12, 2010.

1. TXSpartan macrumors newbie

TXSpartan

Hey guys i just joined the forum a few days ago, i joined to see if i could possibly get some help in making a decision, as of rite now i use an hp dv5, i have always used windows but i have decided to make the move to a mac. I love my current computer but recently the DC port messed up and i had to pay $200 to get that fixed, thats a lot of money for a college student like me and now that thats fixed the battery wont charge anymore i'm not sure if i need a new battery or if its the power supply but either way i will have to spend at least another $100 bucks:eek:. So i have pretty much made my decision to switch to mac and sell this laptop off, mainly because i know that my initial problem wont happen with a mac and the mag safe charger as it did with my current laptop, and also because i have lately been using os x at my uni's library and with my roommates laptop and i honestly prefer it from windows vista, i have never used windows 7 but it seems very similar to vista so ill stick with os x. Now to my main question which mac would suite me best? i will mainly be using it for regular school work (word processing, and power points), along with some e-mail, web browsing, i will be using iTunes a lot and most likely a photo editing software such as Photoshop or maybe the new aperture since i will be buying a digital SLR sometime this year too. I really think the low end 13 mbp can handle all this but what would you guys recommend me or what kind of configuration. I also want to make this a long term investment, i have only owned my hp dv5 for 1.5 yrs, i would like the mac to last me at least 3 yrs. :apple::apple: sorry if im asking too many questions lol and thanks in advance to whoever answers them.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like either 13" MBP should be fine, but if you want to extend its usable life, do consider picking up the 2.53. With a student discount or buying refurb you could probably bring the prices closer.

B

3. TXSpartan thread starter macrumors newbie

TXSpartan

Oh i'm definitely going to take advantage of the student discount, im just not sure if the refurbs are trustworthy buying, another thing as much as i want the laptop now i have been reading the rumors of new mbp's coming soon so i don't know if it worth waiting when not knowing officially when they will be coming out. My roommate was also telling me how they have some kind of sale in the summer where you get an ipod touch free as well, that would be nice but it seems like a really long waiting time.

4. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: BlackBerry8900/5.0.0.348 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

There is a back-to-school promo that has happened every summer. Its highly likely (but never guaranteed) that there will be one again. Waiting for the new MBPs, probably releasing very soon, would be a good idea though. The general concensus is that if you absolutely MUST have it now, then buy it. Otherwise, there's no harm in a little patience.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Refurbs are great. My last two have been refurbs. The outer case is completely replaced and each one is individually checked out so you actually have less chance of getting a lemon.

The summer deal is good since you can usually get both the iPod Touch and sometimes even a printer.

B

6. ucaggie macrumors newbie

Macbook polycarb unibody is fine with what you want to do. I have this computer and find it plenty fast, even with 2 gb ram. For what you are gonna do, you don't need firewire. All you really need is an SD card reader or just hook up your camera to the computer to import pics. No backlit keyboard is necessary because the keys are white and the screen is so bright, even at 75%, that you'll be able to see the keys in pure darkness. Save yourself $200. Money is important for college students, as I am one myself.

Both the low end MPB and new MB are specc'ed the same in terms of raw computing power. The extra boost from 2.26 ghz to 2.53 ghz is pretty much negligible. BTW, the refurb MB is only $849.

7. TXSpartan thread starter macrumors newbie

TXSpartan

gosh i really want to go and buy it rite now, but i guess i can live with my current laptop only plugged into the wall when using it. i do miss taking my laptop to classes though. As far as the MB and the low end 13 in MBP is their any other specs that differentiate them because i really prefer how the MBP looks but i know that really shouldn't be a deciding factor although it is for me. Maybe if the MB was still made in black i would choose that one

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The 13" MBP has the SD slot and the FW800 port, and is expandable to 8 GB RAM.

B

10. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Student prices are usually about the same as refurb prices (unless you're buying previous generation hardware), and you can't combine the discounts, so you're probably better off just using the student discount, which lets you customize the computer, add preloaded software at a discount, etc.

11. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

this is good advice.

I'd go for the mbp as suggested, but wait for the imminent updates

12. TXSpartan thread starter macrumors newbie

TXSpartan

haha yea i have basically made up my mind to get the mbp 13 inch once its updated but i'm really anxious to buy it already i have even been looking for accessories already lol

13. nutritious macrumors 6502

as far as accessories, I'd get the 24" Apple led display if you can afford it. It's a gorgeous monitor and is designed for apple's laptops...

14. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

What type of accessories? Cases?

15. TXSpartan thread starter macrumors newbie

TXSpartan

yea mainly cases, some backpacks, does anyone recommend any? the 24" apple led display is to expensive for me but i do want an external screen though i'm planning to get something around the $350 range that i could double as a tv since i will be living in an apartment starting this summer, i already have a 50" inch samsung in my dorm but i bought it split with my roommate so thats probably going to end up in our living room.

16. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Just a quick note about the Summer deal. If you need a new iPod or a printer it's pretty good, but they do use it to clear out inventory then normally update them a month or so later. Probably just an incremental update though.

I'm busy weighing up if the free swag is worth it :p

17. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

generally is worth it, although remember that you have to pay them upfront and then claim the money back: for me at least, I have found this quite difficult as I often don't have the spare £200-300 required :(

I have actually missed out on a free ipod and printer because of exactly this in the past

18. TXSpartan thread starter macrumors newbie

TXSpartan

Yea i have heard about that, but i think i would still buy it because you could easily sell the ipod on ebay before it becomes the old model and then buy the newer version once it comes out or just keep the money, you could probably sell it for more than its retail value if you offer it internationally too.

19. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

that is indeed a good thing to do, and is done often by MR members

20. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

The 13" MBP suits your needs, however, I'd wait as the prospect of a refresh seems imminent.

Habitus :apple: